thirteen

Rafe's POV:

I woke up to an empty bed and no Hallie.

I ended up staying with her in the guest room last night, because I honestly didn't want to sleep alone.  I know we had been attached at the hip the past several days, but now that I had gotten a piece of her, I really just couldn't get enough.

And it was killing me.

I couldn't deny I was a little sad to see that she had already left this morning, but I understood that she most likely needed some space from me.  Although, after seeing that it was almost noon, I definitely assumed that she probably just didn't want to wake me up, especially since I was going to help her later with installing the new locks.

I pulled the covers back from my waist and got up from the bed, picking up my phone that was laying on the side table.  I felt my lungs exhale as I unlocked the device, seeing a missed text from her that was three hours old.

Hal🎨

Hey Rafe, sorry for leaving so early. Sadie woke me up so I just decided to get a head start on the day. I'll call you when I'm heading home. xx

You're okay. Let me know if you need me.
xx

I sighed as I turned the device off, and made my way out of the room.  Thankfully, no one saw me leave the guest room and go across the hall to my room, because I really didn't want to deal with an interrogation.  I knew Ward wouldn't be mad or anything, I just had a feeling he would bring up the fact that I 'barely know Hallie' and I'm already sleeping in the same bed as her.

Which, I guess was the reality of it, but it didn't feel like it.  I do know her.

I threw on some clothes for the day, after taking a shower, and headed back down the stairs, only to find Ward, Rose, and Sarah waiting for me in the kitchen.  I couldn't help the frown that formed on my face at the sight of my family, because I knew exactly where this was about to go.

"So Hallie?"

See? What did I say.

"What about her?"

"You're spending a lot of time with her." Rose said as she glanced over to Sarah.

"Okay...? I still don't see a problem."

Rose looked to me when I finished, as if she was offended by my words, and that's when Ward stepped in, which was always so lovely.

"Rafe, it's not that we don't like her, okay? I actually really think this girl would be good for you.  I'm honestly just a little worried.  I mean, her mom isn't even here to help her today with going to talk to the police."

I only nodded.  At least this wasn't going south. Well, not yet.

"Is it usually just her alone in that house?"

I didn't want to even answer his question, but I knew if I didn't then he would just pester me until I gave him what he wanted.

"Yeah, but she's almost 19. She's a big girl and handles herself just fine.  I've only been going over there because her mom asked me to just make sure she's okay."