twenty seven

Hallie's POV:

After numerous hours of filling out paperwork, working out details, and driving, we had made it back to the Cameron house.

I couldn't deny that I was feeling angry right now. Although, it wasn't directed towards anybody but myself. I was mad that I had allowed my mom to let her work to take over so much, that I couldn't even be there to stop all of this from happening. I should have known that something would happen, but I was too focused on falling in complete and utter love to pay attention.

I knew I didn't need to be alone in my thoughts, but it was all I really wanted. Rafe protested when I told him that I was just gonna go home, but he finally let it go after I agreed to let him come stay with me later. Although, when he put the car in park, he turned to me once again and I already knew what he was about to ask.

"Are you sure?"

I sighed, "Yes Rafe."

He just swallowed, before nodding and getting out of the car. I repeated his actions, and went over to the drivers side, not giving him the light of day. He grabbed my arm before I was able to get inside the car, causing me to finally have enough.

"What?" I snapped.

He let go of me at my words, and his facial expression dropped to something unreadable, "Hallie, I-"

"No. I'm fine, okay? Just drop it Rafe."

I got into my car immediately after those words left my mouth, and sped away, leaving Rafe in the driveway. I knew I shouldn't be directing my anger towards the boy, because it was only the first phase of me pushing away from him, but I didn't know what else to do.

I flew down the road until I got to my house, not even going inside for long enough to take in any potential reminders of my mom, and grabbed Sadie. After getting her in the car, I left. Just driving until I finally found a beach.

I don't even know how long I sat on the sand as Sadie stayed right by my side, because when I came back to reality, it was getting dark outside and there were only five cigarettes left in the box. I sighed as I pulled out my phone to see a few missed calls from Rafe, and put it away, not able to face the boy yet.

As I let myself start to cry, I laid my head down on Sadie's stomach and closed my eyes. Thankfully she didn't mind, because I seriously just needed to feel her warmth right now. I don't even remember falling asleep on the beach, but I obviously did.

~

When I opened my eyes again, the sky was still filled with stars, and I checked to see that it was two in the morning. Rafe had also tried to call me several more times. I couldn't help but let myself cry hard at my physical state right now. Not only had I managed to do the one thing I told myself not to do, but I was literally sleeping on the fucking beach.

I was a wreck.

The tears continued to just stream down my face when I pulled his contact back up. As much as I didn't want to reach out to him right now, not only because it was so late but I also just felt terrible for how mad I got at him earlier, I knew I had to. He was probably worried out of his mind, and I honestly needed him.

I needed him a lot more than I thought. I can't do this without him.

The phone only rang once before Rafe picked up, indicating he must have been awake.