seven

Hallie's POV:

Mom had found the cutest place on the island for dinner, and thankfully they allowed dogs, so Sadie could join. I had driven us, since we had the dog and mom didn't like Sadie in her car, and after a little while of navigating through the Outer Banks, we pulled up to The Wreck.

Weird name for a restaurant.

Although, I couldn't say to not let the name fool you, because it was extremely good. I would even go as far as saying that it was the best seafood I had ever put in my mouth.

My mom definitely felt the same as she ate her meal, and even Sadie liked it. Yeah, she got table scraps.

"Soooo, you met some people?"

I scoffed at my moms question, "I did."

"Is there a boy involved in this group of people?"

"Mmm.. maybe?"

Her eyes went wide at the words, "Like a potential boyfriend?"

"I think so, I don't know for sure yet though."

She smiled, "What's his name?"

"Rafe."

I watched as she nodded and hummed at my words, "When did you guys meet?"

"Well, I saw him a couple of times before I actually talked to him. He lives right down the road from us."

I paused, waiting for her to say anything, but she just wanted me to continue, "Anyway, it was his sister that came up to me when I was in town and invited me to that party.  We talked at that party and he gave me a ride home."

I sighed as her face dropped a little when I said he took me home, "And no, nothing happened. He did let me give him a stick and poke though last night."

She just scoffed, "Well if he's already letting you poke him with a needle then that should tell you something."

"Yeah, I think so too." I smiled.

"Who else?"

"Well, obviously his sister, and then a couple of their friends. Oh, and I also met a few others at the movie the other night."

She nodded and kept eating.  I could tell she was happy that I was actually getting out and meeting good people for once, but I knew deep down she was worried.  She just cared about me and didn't want me to get hurt.  Honestly, after what happened with my last group of friends before we moved to Charleston, I didn't blame her.

As if someone above was listening in on our conversation, familiar faces walked into the restaurant.  First it was Kie, then John B, and JJ as well as Pope were tailing in the back.

"Speaking of which, there's some of them."

My mom looked up from her plate to the direction I was pointing, and I could see a little wave of joy grow on her face as they all directed their gazes in our direction, grinning.

I watched as Kie and JJ came over to our table, and Sadie immediately got up from spot next to me to greet them, John B and Pope eventually followed the two.