seventy-one

Blake Day

Blake Day

My heart was pounding and the blood was racing through my veins.

Holy shit I actually just did that.

I did it—what I had been bottling up and hiding for months now was out there. Holy shit.

I knew my dad was corrupt— I knew politics were corrupt. I knew everything that was going on wasn't right. But the fact that it was so obvious and in front of me, I wanted to act on it. I had to be selfish for once and seeing him fall wasn't only a win for me, I was hoping it was something that would make Sloane see the real me for once.

For years of my life, I spent time hating myself trying to make my father proud of me when I wished deep down that I had come to know sooner that if I sought someone's attention like that I would never feel satisfied with myself.

I was proud of myself.

His empire was crumbling down around him.

A french manicured hand wrapped around my bicep. "Blake Daniel Day you better tell me what is going on right this instant." My mother's voice was in clear-cut English without a hint of French. Shit.

She was the only person I owed an explanation to.

Turning to face her, her face wore a look of uncertainty. I do not blame her one bit, I just threw her husband and all who were associated in this election under the bus. Including her.

"Mama, he wasn't doing right by the people. I needed to do right by the people." I enclosed her hand with mine as she gave me a look of anger.

"You never fight fire with fire, Blake." She lectured.

I nodded.

I knew that, I knew that two wrongs don't make a right. But I also knew that everything that I had done in my past was wrong.

Except her.

She was so wrong that it turned right.

"I'm still very upset with you," She whispered as I nodded. Both of our blue eyes gazed into each other. "I'm upset with myself too," I paused.