thirty-four

Sloane Beck

Sloane Beck

"Are those goldfish?" A voice interrupted the fisting of goldfish into my mouth. Still chewing, I looked up at the curly-headed boy and nodded. "Yeah, extra cheesy," I spoke with my mouth full.

I watched as a smile appeared on his face as I grabbed another handful and fisted it into my mouth. "I've never met someone like you before," He spoke amazed. He had a gleam in his eyes.

I chuckled, "What? What do you mean?" I asked as he shrugged. "Why aren't you sitting with them?" He gestured to my sister's table. I frowned, after swallowing. Wiping off my hands, I reached for my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Why would I want to sit with them?" I asked while unwrapping my goodies. Hearing him release a giggle, I finally relaxed. "Is that a pb&j?" He asked as I smiled.

"Yeah," I went to eat it but I stopped.

Maybe he would want some?

"Want to share?" I asked as he shook his head- who would shake their head at the offering of a piece of delicious food? I was so thankful, so lucky that I could feast on this meal. This was a dessert in the orphanage.

"It's not that I don't want it—I can't have it. I'm allergic to nuts," I gasped at his words. "You're allergic to nuts!" I yelled as he nodded.

"Do you mind if I sit?" He asked, he was a bit weird. He wasn't like the others but he definitely had a hint of it. He stood up way too straight, and when I nodded for him to sit down there was zero slouching insight.

"Who are you?" I questioned as he offered me a cheeky smile. "Wait, can you be next to me if I eat this?" I point towards my sandwich. He nodded, "Yeah, It's not that severe." He reached into his own lunchbox, pulling out a rice cake.

"I'm Charlie, Charlie McAllister." His voice was cute.

However, the trail of crumbs he was leaving was not.

"Are you gonna clean that up?" I asked as he shrugged. "No, do it. It's stressing me out." I spoke. He continued to gnaw on the rice cake as if his life depended on it. "You shouldn't let it stress you out," Crumbs flew out of his mouth like bats out of hell.