fifty-six

Sloane Beck

Sloane Beck

He was acting weird.

I woke up to fresh air and the sunlight warming my face.

The air was cold but my pillow made me feel warm. My pillow raised and lowered with every breath it took and I felt its heartbeat thump underneath me. Slowly opening my eyes, I realized that we had spent the night together, on the rooftop of Charlie's bakery.

It smelled of fresh dough underneath me. The morning sky was unforgiving to my bright blue eyes, I had to squint a few times to be able to see clearly. It was cold outside, you could see the condensation off of buildings.

You could hear horns from angry cab drivers in the city. You could hear sirens, you could hear the whole nine yards. But no sound was as prominent to me as Blake's heartbeat.

Sitting up, I looked down at the angelic-like sleeping boy.

He was so peaceful when he was with me.

Leaning down, I placed a kiss on his lips to wake him up. His cheeks were rosy and red and his lips slowly kissed me back, his lips formed into a smile. "Morning," I pulled away speaking to him.

Finally opening his eyes, his blue irises shined at me. "Morning beautiful," His voice was raspy and nearly had me weak in the knees. I was a lucky girl—what could I say?

"How'd you sleep?" I asked as he chuckled, rubbing his eyes. "Would be better if my girlfriend didn't snore like a fucking siren." I gaped at him as he laughed. "I do not snore!" I denied him as he shrugged, a grin on his face like no other.

"We'll agree to disagree, princess." He teased. I hovered over top of him, staring into his eyes as he rest his arms behind his head. His biceps were flexing as I saw all of his tattoos up close.

"I love you," I spoke without intending.

Getting red in the face at my word vomit, he smiled. "I love you too." He answered me, making me feel not as bad. Kissing me on the lips, he flipped us over my back was laying against the hard rooftop.