6. History.

Long Chapter Ahead...

The first few weeks of training were intense. 

The days were a mixture of self-defence training, mixed martial arts, meditation, conditioning, and strength training. Hera was exhausted after each session, but Ivy, an Evolved healer, would come and heal her completely every evening. She was the loveliest person Hera had ever met. 

Ivy talked to her through the entire process and asked her questions about her life. She seemed genuinely interested and eased some of Hera's anxiety after each session. She would take pictures to monitor Hera's physical growth for her file and would make her laugh throughout the awkward process. Hera didn't need to look at the photos. She could already see profound changes in her physique. It was mostly her coordination and confidence that had a long way to go. 

On the second day, she requested an audience with the Director, demanding him bring her aunt to the Community. He had let her know they had gone looking for her after their first meeting. "I'm sorry, but there was no sign of her. Based on our thermal scans, the house was empty."

 Hera had cried that night, scared for her aunt and afraid she was all alone in the world.

On the fifth day, the nightmares started. 

Hera woke drenched in sweat with a concerned Theo standing over her. He had needed to calm her again before she took the entire building down around them. The Director told everyone it was a minor earthquake, but the whispers and scathing looks showed their suspicions. 

The Director had decided it would be safer for Theo to stay in Hera's room while learning control over her powers. She flushed with embarrassment at the implications of having to share a room with her young mentor. Hera worried the arrangement would go on forever, as no one had talked about her powers or helped her control. 

She didn't think anyone knew what to do with her.

Each night she woke up panting, her body coated in sweat or tears. On this particular night, she looked up to see Theo sitting next to her on the bed. His palm cradled his head, eyes closed. The other hand rested on her shin. She felt so guilty for making him babysit her around the clock. 

She couldn't stop herself from thinking, I'm sorry, as she stared at him with sleepy eyes. He lifted his head and stared down at her, their eyes locking for a long time. Hera started to heat up under his gaze. What are you thinking? Theo looked away, taking his hand with him. 

Coldness gripped her; the wet sheets and absence of Theo were chilling. She got up and decided to change her clothes and sheets. Hera had trouble locating her bed again in the dark and tripped on a pile of clothes at the end of it. 

"Fuck. Ouch!" She cursed her clumsiness, bringing her hands down to her bruised knees. Hera's eyes burned as tears welled across her waterline. 

She leaned against the bed to survey the damage as Theo sat next to her. "Can I take a look?"

Hera couldn't see his expression in the dark, but his voice was gentle, and she imagined him with a pitying look. She nodded. Theo gently probed her knees, and to her relief, there was no blood, but they would be bruised. Theo's hands froze when he heard Hera sniffle. "Are you crying?" 

She turned away from him, embarrassed. "No..." She sniffed again, wiping the tears with her sleeve.

"Of all the things to cry about..." He started but quickly stopped when a sob shook Hera's frame. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. It's just, you've been through so much this week, and I never once saw you upset like this." A full-body cry took over. Hera tried to speak but only managed to hiccup and gasp for air.