Part Two. Re-Education.

The room she awoke in was bright and surgical.

 The smell of blood and antiseptic churned her stomach. She groaned as she rolled to her side and realised in horror she was connected to half a dozen UV lines. 

She winced as she ripped them from her arms and tore up the bedsheets to cover each wound, now weeping blood. "Ah shit." She sat on the torn bed as a dizzy spell hit her.

"Hera." A chastising voice sounded over the room's intercom. "You're going to hurt yourself if you keep doing that."

She looked at her arms littered with bruises and wondered how many times she had pulled them out before this.

A brief look around the room showed no apparent doors or windows. The walls were thickly padded, and cameras perched in each corner. A pile of fresh linen clothes was sitting on a chair next to her bed, and she quickly changed out of the bloodstained scrubs. Behind her, she heard a person enter with a trolley and turned to see an array of fruits, bread, spreads, and a smoothie. 

"We didn't know what you liked, so I brought you everything we have." She recognised the voice from earlier and was surprised to see a beautiful older woman. Her hair was long with dark curls, and her face looked vaguely familiar. Her eyes held an unbearable sadness while her mouth lifted in a half-smile. "It's nice to officially meet you, love. I've heard a bit about you from some of the other residents." She smiled genuinely, then. "Eat up, and I'll try to answer questions you have. "

Hera was too hungry to be suspicious and dug in, getting mild heartburn. "Where are we?" she asked between mouthfuls.

"We are on a very large ship in the middle of the ocean." The woman replied carefully, causing Hera to frown.

"Is this where Panacea takes all the evolved they kidnap?"

"Some."

"Who are you?"

"My name is Jane, and I'm here to... look after you." Hera's furrowed brow and silence caused the further response. "Well, I requested to take care of you."

"You're leaving me with more questions than answers here, lady." She huffed. "Where's Theo?"

Jane's demeanour shifted immediately. "Teddy? Oh, he's with Azrail." Her eyes darkened. 

Hera was shocked to hear the pet name Jean had used for Theo multiple times. Who is this woman? "Who are they to each other?"

Jane abruptly stood and began to wheel the trolley out, holding all the discarded IVs. "Wait, you don't have to answer that. Please wait!" The thickly padded door opened and closed behind her leaving Hera alone. 

"For fuck sake..." She looked around again and grumbled. There was nothing in here to do anything with. She sat on the cold floor cross-legged and centred herself. The slight thrum of energy tickled her palms, and she was relieved her abilities were still there. She had feared it may have died forever back with her Aunt. The memory was so unbearable to recall she had to shut it down before she imploded. 

Her energy jumped from hand to hand, and she tentatively sent it out. But unfortunately, she was still too sapped, and she barely reached the padded walls. A sigh escaped her lips, and Hera thought about Juno, her twin, and wondered if they were still around.

  I'm here. She jumped slightly at the voice.

 "Shit." 

Her eyes burned, and tears fell, but she felt comforted. 

We need to get out of here. Juno remarked. 

"I know." 

Someone is trying to get in your head. I'm getting tired.