Chapter 22

Alex speeds in and out of the road which I don't understand because there's only a few cars out.

It's midnight here, I want to call Heather and explain what happened so she doesn't go back. I text her to not freak out with a detailed explanation of the situation. I wait for her response but I know that won't be for a while.

"What a way to end the night huh?" Alex says.

I look at him in disbelief, "What are you? A sadist? Do you get off on beating someone you call a 'business partner'? You have some serious issues, Alex."

He smirks, "Oh no, baby. I do get off on beating it against someone though."

I give him a look of confusion, what is he going off about now? It's like he speaks in riddles I never seem to understand or get enough information to understand.

He looks back and forth between the road and me. I just stare back at him doing this action and I don't understand so I don't answer him.

He chuckles, "You have some serious issues. I just helped you take care of it."

Why the hell does he keep laughing for? What is so funny?

"You could have killed him!" I raise my voice at him. "Stop laughing!"

"And he would have killed you," He looks at me with low, red eyes then back to the road. I see his right arm reach toowards the cup holder and pulls a shiny flask swinging the contents into his mouth.

I make a sound between a gasp and a scoff, "Are you drunk?" I ask with an attitude.

He shrugs his shoulders, "Define drunk, baby."

I can't ignore his remark and it wasn't an accident when he called me that the first time.

"I am not your baby." I roll my eyes as a deep rumble comes from his chest out of his mouth.

I don't ignore that he's drinking and driving. The very two people who were supposed to care for me did that exact thing and sometimes I hoped I'd die when it happened. I don't condone it but I'm not here to make excuses for anyone anymore.

This won't be the last time he'll hear it from me.

"Why did you come back?" I ask.

"I didn't come back," this time he rolls his eyes, "I never left." He smiles and licks his lips at me.

I should be in pain.

I should be worried.

I should be focused on anything else right now besides him.

The only thing that is affecting me is him. However, I want to hear the word baby roll off his tongue and pressed against me instead. I take a breath, I can't tell if he's drunk or sarcastic.

All I know is he's spewing things at me and I hate his attitude but damn me.

His remarks, his scent- I want him to linger on me than just his eyes.

I look at his bloody and bruised hand on the wheel.

I shudder and look at him which causes him to raise his brow in ausmement.

I shake my head at him and voice my worry out loud.

"I don't know where I'm going to go."

"You're obviously coming home with me." He states.

"And after that?"

He shrugs, "we'll figure it out."

- - - -