Chapter 21

Alex pulls up to the curb of my place and I turn to face him.

"I don't remember if I told you but I haven't laughed in so long since this evening. Thank you for that and... er-" I hesitate, "the help earlier," I whisper.

He doesn't say anything but nods at me as if he's a robot.

He's back to rude Alex and I don't care anymore.

My body feels weak, my mind is groggy and my eyes feel heavy. However, I open the door to get out and before I exit, I roll my eyes knowing he can see my face. When I finally drag my body to the front door, I force myself to stare at this temporary space I call home. I don't know if Heather is inside but I'm here now and I decide I don't want to look behind me anymore.

I take a breath before I open the front door with my keys and walk through.

I notice the eerily silence of the house and my body heightens to its fight response- I have to be prepared for anything.

I close the door and I don't bother to check to see if Alex left.

He probably left before you even got inside the house.

All the lights are off and the only light that is shining through the window is the moon.

I tip-toe to the stairs and hope my father doesn't catch me. However, my foot finds a bottle, clanking against it and I mentally slap myself.

"Shit," I hissed.

I hear the creak of the sofa as if someone is getting up.

"Where have you been?" My father slurs and goosebumps form all over my body.

I gulp and don't respond to him. I stand like a stupid statue as if he wouldn't know I'm here if I do that.

"Are you going to answer me?" His voice rumbles through the empty house.

My body jumps back as the tears come to blur my vision again.

I know he is and sounds human but as the moon lights his face, he's an angry wolf ready to attack. My eyes roam around the room to see bottles everywhere and another one in his hand.

My vision follows as his arm swing the bottle up to his lips for a refreshing sip before his face seems to soften.

"Where were you?" He asks, calmer this time.

"T-the h-hosptial," I shudder like a scared prey. He doesn't have to know where exactly I was and technically I did get stitches from a doctor.

"Why?" He takes another sip.

This feels like a trick- asking me things, fake caring about me, what is wrong with him?

I decided to be honest with him and I hope he doesn't get angry. I sigh before I answer him, "I was bleeding when you pushed me down."

He hollers in my face and my brows scrunched in confusion.

"Me? Push? you?" He laughs. His voice is laced with venom and anger, "I have never abused you and I'm not doing that now. You fell on your own, clumsy girl."

My fists clenched. "Where is Heather?" I ask sternly.

"Out of town." He smiles sadicasttly at me.

He steps around the bottles to come closer to me, "Don't you ever accuse me of abuse."

"I-I never said-" I start to defend myself.

"Lies!" He yells as he takes big steps towards me and grabs the back of my head. I yelp in pain and here comes the tears that never seem to stop. He pushes my body to the ground as I stay in a down position.