Chapter 2

As Heather and I go downstairs, the front door opens and my father appears.

Is it 2pm already? I ask myself. Another day slept away.

I sigh.

I'm still in my sleeping clothes and I know how he feels about that.

Since my father's departure from us, he had the opportunity to have his own kids- my step siblings. He and Heather had twin boys who are five years old.

It hurts me a little that he decided he needed to get away from me to have other kids. My mother always begged him to give me a sibling but he never caved in.

I was shocked to find out that he raised these boys and not me, a girl. Maybe gender didn't have anything to do with it but I'm still hurt.

I'm screaming at him, internally.

You never raised me! I had to raise myself and it wasn't enough for my underdeveloped mind.

I'm angry.

I'm upset.

I deserved a father who wanted to raise me.

I deserved a father who wanted to love me too.

It wasn't fair.

I can't help it but I know there's a frown on my face. I guess I should understand why by now.

"Eva!" Kayden and Ian screams my name. I snap out of my selfish thoughts, wipe the frown off my face, and give myself a mental pep talk.

They deserve happiness even if you didn't get it. They're just kids. They also look very happy to see you so give them the love you never had.

They both run up to embrace me with their little arms but only reach my hips. I try to bend down more to wrap mine across their shoulders at the same time.

This gesture warms my heart. Children really are innocent and the only way the mind gets polluted are from vile people, essences and actions.

I promise I will never let anything bad happen to you two.

You better keep that promise, I challenge myself.

Kayden starts to wave his drawing in front of my face as Ian hangs up his backpack.

"Look what we made today, Eva! We drew pictures of our family! See! You're right next to us!" Kayden exclaims.

I bend down to get closer to him and study the drawing. I give him a gentle smile and admire how he drew each and every single person. "It's very artistic and detailed Kayden, thank you."

He beams with a smile and turns to hang up his bag on the hooks by the door.

"Eva," My father's curt voice breaks me away from Kayden and I look up at him.

"You need to stop sleeping so much. You know I enrolled you into school so you need to get on a schedule," He states with an attitude, emphasizing on the word schedule.

My throat gulps nothing but air. I take a breath as I'm about to answer, but I don't get the chance to.

"Do you hear me?" He demands.

"Y-Yes," I try to answer.

"Matt, you need to use a more calming tone with Eva. She has been through more than you know and- " Heather interjects.

He wears a stern expression, interrupting Heather, "I understand that but I do not condone laziness and unproductiveness. Also, it's time to move on and stop living in that victim mindset. Am I made clear, Eva?" My father looks to me.