Chapter 4

When we get back home from the store, I stare at all the things Heather got for me. I get my school supplies ready into my backpack but the only thing that intrigues my eyes are the pieces of clothing on my bed.

I never had to wear uniforms for school so it feels a little foreign to me. Heather got me three tan pants and two navy skirts with five white button-up's. As well as two navy blazers, two maroon cardigans, and one thin pull-over sweater, all imprinted with the school's small logo on the side.

It honestly reminds me of Gossip Girl's uniforms on how rich it feels under my finger tips.

It's ridiculous how much this all cost but Heather told me to not worry. I know it's only a matter of time before my father tells me how much he spends on me and that I need to pay him back. 

He's so selfish when it comes to you. I frown and sigh at the thought. 

I want to be able to own something and get to call it mine and only mine

It's been a week since Heather took me shopping and I'm so eager to leave this place. For the last six months, I have been inside the house recovering and completing online school to fulfill needed credits. I can't wait to see the building I will be attending, I hear it's beautiful.

 It feels like a heavy weight is finally being lifted off my chest so I can actually breathe. 

Although, I know the snickers and snide comments from my father won't be ceased completely. I know I won't have to deal with it everyday and I'm relieved. 

The month of August leaves so quickly and it's finally the beginning of September.

Which is also my birthday month. 

It also means you're 18 years old and you can leave. 

I sigh. 

No, I'm unable to. There's nothing out there for me except evilness and rejection. At least with my father and Heather, I'm safe. 

Not safe enough. Maybe he'll finally kick you to the curb, my mind says but I ignore it.

- - - - -

As I get ready for the first day of class, I put on the white shirt with the navy blazer and skirt. I decide to wear black knee high socks and shoes with it. 

This might be ugly but it's the best I can do. 

I walk into my bathroom to ponder what I'm going to do with my hair. I decide to split my hair into two ponytails but instantly regret it.

Dude, you look like a kindergartener! I mock myself. Get! Rid! Of! them!

I shake my head and pull the hair ties out. My arms feel flimsy and dead from putting it up so I decide to leave it down. I stare at myself in the mirror and my eyes drift to my scar.

Gosh, I hate that freaking scar.

I go back into my bed room and luckily, I find a silk ribbon in my drawer that will cover my scar and stay on my head.

I tie the ends at the top of my head then turn it downwards behind my hair. I straighten out the ribbon, grab my bag, and leave out of my room to go downstairs.

I skip down the stairs while not paying attention to my surroundings. Before I reach the end, Heather and the twins jump out to scare me with their "Happy Birthdays!"