Chapter 9

It's been a whole week since I've seen Alex and the thoughts of his act makes me wonder why he even acted like that. I sigh and push them aside because after all, he's drama and I don't want to be around drama. 

I'm sitting at the lunch table with Astrid and Damien and since last week, I have been getting to know them. I found out she's 17 years old, an only child, and loves the color pink rose. She told me her father is in the oil industry and he's constantly traveling. She said her mother use to go on these trips also but it's been awhile since she's gone with her father. 

She added it's because her mom is secretly sleeping with the pool boy while using brunch and book club as cover-up's. I'm appalled by this information and I go quiet because I'm not sure what to say. She stated the information so nonchalantly and as if it's a norm. I get uncomfortable and shift in my seat. I keep looking at her because there's nothing someone can say in this instance to make them feel better. I figure it's better to say anything than letting this silence go on between us. I just let her know that I'm here for her and my place is always an open door. 

As Astrid does, she acts like it isn't a big deal but I know she holds it in, terribly deep down. She has a good heart that can only handle so much heartbreak too. She just doesn't want others to see her breaking down but who would?

I thought about why doesn't she just tell her father what she knows about the alleged affair. 

But what child would want to come in between that battle?

Exactly. No one, not even adults want to. 

Astrid just brushes the topic off and brings the attention onto Damien. I find out he's 17 too but will be turning 18 soon. He loves playing basketball and chicken is his comfort food. His father owns a company that sells business to business commodities to big corporations or other manufactures. He doesn't specify in what and I don't feel the need to push for the information. 

After he's done, he asks me a question, "Are you coming on Saturday?"

I raise my brow, "What's happening on Saturday?"

He gives me the same expression and says, "My brother? He said he talked to you and that everything was good to go."

I scoff, remembering the night where he left rudely. "What's good to go?" I ask sarcastically. "Are you talking about his party?"

Damien nods.

"I'm not going," I say plainly.

"Did something happen?" Astrid looks over to me, in confusion.

"Yeah, he's an ass."

Damien swallows his burger down and laughs, "We know he's an ass but what did he do?" He gestures between himself and Astrid, "Besides, you should come and hangout with your friends."

But I would be there for the reason of him and I don't want to be.

"Oh, please Eva!" Astrid is looking at me with puppy dog eyes. "It's always just Damien and I. It'll be fun getting ready together! Plus that dress babe, you'll look smoking," She winks to me. 

I smile at her and I don't want to let them down. They're not forcing me because I do want to go.I want to have fun. I want to let loose. Too bad, Alex has made me feel uncomfortable and he will be the center of attention there. I think my head will spin even faster if there's more attention on him, feeding into his ego.

That night, my father was snappy with me when he thought I still had Alex's gift in my hands but as soon as I told him that I gave it back, he seemed relieved. I don't know what that was about but I ignored the feelings and went straight to bed. I just don't want anything my fault and be the cause of it.