I made my way to the front door and left the bags there to go get the rest. I knew I made enough noise to spark their interest, but it was not until I was coming back downstairs when my dad showed up.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked angrily.

"I'm leaving," I said as I stormed down the stairs. "For good."

"No, you're not," he said with a red face and mad eyes. "Haven't you done enough to embarrass me?! The second the press finds out about it, my reputation is ruined!"

"You know what?" I said as I threw the plastic bags on top of the rest of my belongings. "I don't fucking care! I've never cared about you, just like you haven't cared about me!"

"I gave you a home! I am your father!" he yelled. "I gave you money for food, but you spent it all on video games! I was going to pay for your college for crying out loud!"

"No! You bribed me to get out of your way!" I yelled back just as loudly. "You never, not even once, asked how I was doing! You never cared about my grades and I might as well have skipped the entire high school without you giving a fuck! Don't you fucking dare say you cared about me! You even left on your business trips without bothering to tell me!"

"What...?" I heard a quiet voice coming from the living room.

"Yeah – that's right. I haven't even seen my aunt in years!" I continued, keeping my eyes on my so-called father.

"But you said..." Stephanie walked around the corner. "You told me Troy is staying with his aunt," she said with a careful voice.

Oh, my dad was furious.

"You have done enough damage as it is," he told me. "Get back in your room! I am not letting you leave and ruin my name!"

"I already told you I don't care! I'm changing it to Mom's, so you can continue to pretend you don't have a son, just like you wanted!" I was already yelling so loud the neighbors probably heard it, too. Sadly, it made him even madder.

"YOU ARE NOT LEAVING THIS HOUSE!"

"WATCH ME!" I shouted back and turned to grab a few of the plastic bags. My father let out an angry puff, and I heard him taking a few angry steps towards me.

"No!" Stephanie screamed just a second before something hard and heavy hit me on the back, sending me to my knees. I was filled with adrenaline in a heartbeat, and I turned to look up at my father. He was holding a chair high in the air, looking mad as hell. I had to admit that I was shocked to see him resort to violence. I had no time to react, but to my surprise, I was not alone against him.

"No! What are you doing?!" Stephanie appeared out of nowhere, trying to get the chair from him. "He's just a child!"

I got up on my feet while Stephanie pulled as hard as she could to get the chair from my dad, distracting him.

"GET OFF, BITCH!!" Dad yelled, and kicked her hard. Stephanie tripped and lost her hold on the chair, falling down, hitting her head on a corner of a wardrobe.

"Steph!" I lost my focus only for a second.

And suddenly, the world went black around me.

*****

"...Troy...?"

I opened my eyes and let out a gasp when a massive wave of pain went through my head.

"Oh, thank God..."