76. The Real Flaws

Magsimula sa umpisa

We ended up cutting half of the leg – of the pants – off, just around the knee, so he could fit in them. While we were at it, I couldn't help but feel impressed by his legs. No wonder the pants didn't fit him with the cast! How could a seventeen-year-old have thighs the size of an elephant!?

"Are you staring?" he chuckled quietly.

"Are you pleased?" I winked at him, helping him with his injured leg, and he blushed. I still found it adorable that he got so flustered when I flirted back after his attempts to flirt with me.

After a short battle, we finally won! The pants were on and we were ready to go! Luke was starting to get into a better mood and all was well.

Until the next crisis.

The crutches.

First off. Neon green? That was the color they thought was fit for my already angry dude? The manly man from Mensville. Luke landed an angry gaze upon them. His mom was holding them with a timid smile on her face. We all knew this wasn't going to end well.

"Is it too late to rip the damn leg off?" Luke grunted.

"And what would that solve?" Gwen asked with raised eyebrows.

"I wouldn't have to think about it ever again," Luke replied without making any effort to get the crutches from his mom.

Why was he being so hard on himself? He never gave himself any slack. I was sure the reason he was so buffed was that he needed to torture himself. It was like the only thing he enjoyed in this world was being mean to himself.

I took the crutches from Mrs. Frost and turned to look at Luke. "Come on – let's go home," I said quietly.

He looked up at me for a moment before lowering his gaze down to the crutches. He then let out a sigh, sounding so defeated it actually hurt. I hated to see him like this. His leg would heal, and everything would go back to normal before he knew it, but still he hated himself over a small leg injury. Every other teenager would be thrilled to use this opportunity to skip school and make everyone around them their personal slaves. I knew I would turn into an unbearable, pampered little queen bee in his position.

"I can carry you if you want," I said when he didn't move a muscle.

He snorted, and I was glad to hear some humor in it. He took the crutches from me, and I helped him up on his feet. The first few steps he took were wobbly and slow, but he got the hang of it fast. He was annoyed, sure, but it turned out that this crisis wasn't a crisis at all. Just a nuisance.

Of course, our journey home wasn't that easy. Another crisis was looming up ahead in the parking lot.

The car.

We didn't understand it at first, but when I opened the door for Luke, we all stopped in realization. Luke's leg had a full cast on, preventing him from bending it.

"Right, we bought a smaller car..." Gwen muttered.

I turned to look at Luke, who was now grinding his teeth together, staring at the backseat of the car. There was no way he could sit there.

"Maybe if we pull the front seat all the way back?" Mrs. Frost suggested.

We tried that. Nope. We had a big Australian hunk with legs the size of trees, and the smallest sedan any brand could possibly build in our hands, and the equation was not working in our favor.

Luke was growing increasingly frustrated.

"I'll just walk," he grunted behind his gritted teeth, and turned his back on us.