74. A Small Detour

-Sky-

-Sky-

It was Saturday morning. We were getting ready to go pick up Max around noon and then leave for our camping trip. I was eating my breakfast with Mom in the kitchen when Dad stepped in. He stopped by the door and stood there so long I had to take a glimpse of him. He was watching me.

"What?" I asked.

"What do you mean, what? I should be asking that question," he said.

"What?" I repeated with a higher voice, turning to look at him with a frown.

"It's Saturday!" Dad spoke like I wasn't already aware of it.

"Yeah?" I spoke, and he turned to look at Mom for a moment, like asking for help, before turning his attention back to me.

"What do you mean, yeah? What about the camping trip?" he asked.

"Dad, seriously, what's going on?" I asked.

"What's going on? What's going on with you? We're leaving for the trip in just a few hours and you're just... sitting there. Why aren't you all over the place by now?"

I rolled my eyes and turned to continue eating. "It doesn't feel appropriate right now..."

"Sky is worried about Luke," Mom explained. "And about Troy."

"Oh," Dad uttered with an understanding voice. "Any news about Luke?"

"He had a surgery this morning, but Troy hasn't texted me back yet," I said. "I just know his kneecap broke in several pieces."

"It could've been worse," Dad said in a soothing manner while sitting down next to me. "It takes quite a while to recover though."

"I know Luke's going to be pissed about it for a long time," I sighed.

"Is he that kind of guy?" Mom asked.

"Yeah – he hates showing any kind of weakness," I said, even though it was merely a guess, based on what Troy had told us and what I had seen myself. "And he thinks it's his fault they lost the game – Troy told me about it..."

"Nonsense!" Dad proclaimed. "They played really well last night. The other team was simply better."

"Wow, Dad," Freddy stepped in with a smirk on his face. "Look how mature you've gotten!"

"He's not allowed to say anything bad or negative about the game, or either of the teams," Mom said, giving Dad a stern eye. "Or else..."

"Ah..." Freddy chuckled and went to grab a plate for himself.

So that was why Dad wasn't all over the place, cursing the enemy team and ranting about all the mistakes ours had made last night. I was old enough to understand which privilege Mom would take away from him if he disobeyed her on this one. I let out a laugh and continued eating.