73. Perfect Weekend

Start from the beginning

"Yeah... It was too fragile..." I said quietly. "I should've tried to dodge him... I saw him coming after me, and I tried to fool him, but I guess he saw it. The idiot just slammed into me."

"I saw it happen. It looked pretty bad," he said sympathetically.

"Bad enough to break my kneecap into four pieces. They'll have to operate right away because it's pretty bad. It's not just the kneecap that's busted. There's something wrong with some of the tendons as well... Hopefully they'll get to operate it tomorrow, and I'll get to go home after that."

"Aren't they going to keep you here longer than that?" Troy asked with a frown.

"Most likely not – they'll probably just put a cast on it and send me home with painkillers," I explained.

"Oh, okay," Troy said, and was quiet for a moment. "That'd be good. Then I get to comfort you," he smirked.

I grimaced when I remembered what he said about the game. "How did it go? The game?"

He wrinkled his nose. "You might not want to know..."

"Fuck's sake," I breathed out. "We lost, didn't we..."

"Yeah... But like I said – I'll comfort you as long as you wish," he said, leaning in to kiss me for the third time. "But for the record – you really were an amazing quarterback. We learned that after you were gone."

"I was..." I repeated his words with a chuckle. "My last game and I didn't even get to finish it."

"I'm sorry you didn't get to be there," Troy said quietly, moving his hand on my cheek. "I think we would've won if you were there."

"I don't think so," I laughed. "I don't care. Really... You told me to have fun today, but... I don't think football was ever fun for me. My shrink once suggested that I get a hobby. I just followed his instructions, that's all."

Troy's smile turned sadder when I spoke. "Is there..." he trailed off for a moment, before he continued. "Is there something else you do for fun? I don't even know that..."

"For fun?" I said, taking his hand in mine. "...no."

He nodded shortly, and his expression turned sadder. I cursed myself for bringing down the mood. That was the only thing I was good at.

"Is there something you'd want to do for fun?" he asked.

"You," I said before I could stop myself. He started smiling at first, looking a bit shy for a moment, before his smile turned into laughter.

"I should have..." he laughed, shaking his head.

"I guess I'll need a hobby now. Last time it took months before my knee was back to normal, so I need something to do," I said, and for the first time in my life, I was actually thinking about it. Having a fun hobby. I just had no idea what could be fun.

"I'll help you find something you'll love to do," Troy said. "Besides me."

"That'd be great," I said, wrapping my arms around his shoulders to pull him on top of me. "I'm sorry I can't take you to the arcade now... This was supposed to be your weekend."

"Our weekend. We will have plenty of those in the future," he said.

I loved the sound of that.