73. Perfect Weekend

Start from the beginning

"I'm screaming internally, don't worry," I said, and sighed right after. "I don't really care about the fucking knee. They can cut it off for all I care. I'm just... I fucked up... This was Troy's weekend. He wanted so badly to get away from his dad and Stephanie. He doesn't want to go home..."

Mom sighed as well and sat down on the edge of my bed. "He can stay with us, if he wants, but Gwen is worried they won't let him come with us... because of her."

"It's not her fault. Troy's old man is just trash if you ask me," I said.

"That's not a nice thing to say," Mom said quietly.

"Well, Troy's dad isn't a nice man," I retorted. "Tell Troy that I'm sorry for ruining his weekend."

"You didn't ruin anything. Accidents happen, and I'm sure Troy will tell you the same exact thing," Mom said, patting my shoulder. "But Gwen is on her way here, and Troy's with her, so you'll get to try to tell him that yourself. They should be here any minute."

I immediately felt better after hearing that, even though I was afraid to see Troy. He was disappointed, and I wasn't sure if I could live with myself after seeing that expression on his face, knowing it was my fault.

Stupid knee...

It really didn't take longer than five minutes before someone knocked on the door. Mom went to open it, letting Gwen and Troy in.

"So is it broken?" was the first thing Gwen said.

"Yeah," Mom said. "They are trying to schedule surgery for him as soon as possible."

Troy walked to me and sat down on the edge of my bed. Without saying a word, he kissed me shortly. "How are you holding up?"

"Hmm?" I could only think of the warm greeting I got, instead of answering his question. When I got my head working again, I shrugged. "It's just a busted knee. I'll survive."

"And if you turn off that manly-man attitude?" Troy asked without a blink of an eye.

I stared at him for a moment and then sighed. "It hurts so fucking much... The painkillers aren't working well..."

"My poor dude," Troy said gently, and kissed my forehead. "Can they give you stronger pills?"

"They were pretty strong already. I'm just getting immune to them..." I said, thinking about all the pills I had to take every day just to stay sane.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Stay with me," I whispered.

"Of course I will," he whispered just as quietly. "They'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming to get rid of me."

I smiled, but I couldn't ignore my guilty conscience any longer. "I'll have to stay here for the night... I ruined your weekend, and–"

Troy put a hand over my mouth. "You didn't ruin anything," he said sternly. "It was an accident." Behind him, Mom raised her eyebrows like saying I told you so.

Troy removed his hand so I could speak, and I didn't stay quiet. "But everything is still ruined," I tried to say, but he put his hand back on my mouth.

"Nothing's ruined," Troy said sternly. "I'll get to be with you."

"I think we should give you two a moment alone," Mom said suddenly, and I saw her dragging Gwen out of the room, closing the door behind them.

Troy gave me a smile and leaned in to press a longer kiss on my lips. When he sat back up, he brushed his hand through my hair with a warm smile on his lips. "So... What's going to happen next? They said your knee is broken?"