66. Fair Warnings

Start from the beginning

*****

I tried to make some progress during my free period, but my mind kept returning to our camping trip. We'd spent the longest time in our camp, just talking and joking and having fun. I spent most of that time in Troy's arms. I really wanted to go back there. Sky was already planning for our next trip, but this time we would go somewhere else, since their project was done.

I was looking forward to that. I was really looking forward to that. I couldn't believe how happy it made me when Sky spoke about it without even asking if we all wanted to come with him. He had already decided we all wanted to come. Well, no, it was more like it didn't even occur to him that there was a chance we didn't want to come.

And then I forgot all about it when Troy invaded my mind again. I kept living in this one particular memory. I'd been leaning against the log we had between our tents, and he sat down on it right behind me, placing his long legs on both my sides. He'd played with my hair for a long time and more than once, I nearly fell asleep. It was such a happy moment – I knew I would never forget it.

It was weird to have happy memories and happy moments. Part of me still expected me to ruin everything, but I wasn't the same guy I was a year ago. Hell, I wasn't the same guy I was a month ago. Now I had... hope.

The period was about to end, so I forced Troy out of my head so I could finish reading the page I was on. I shortly realized I had no memory of reading the first half, so I just gave up. I started gathering my belongings, but then I heard footsteps behind me in the quiet library.

"So, I heard you have a girlfriend back in Australia."

I groaned. "Leave me alone."

"How rude," Lisa said, stopping next to my desk. "Is she hot?"

I stood up and grabbed my bag, hauling it over my shoulder. "You just don't give up, do you?"

"Can you even call her a girlfriend, if she lives so far away?" Lisa continued, and I turned to glare at her.

"Okay, how are you not getting this?" I asked, rubbing my temples with both hands. "I – am – not – interested – in – you!"

"Yet," she said over-confidently, crossing arms over her chest. "No one says no to me."

I just stared at her for a moment. "Lisa, I need you to listen very carefully to what I'm now going to say to you: no. No, no, no. Nope. Nuh-uh. Hell no. Nonononono. No. No. NO! You get me?"

She didn't reply to me, but her expression was far from amused. I turned my back on her and started walking to the exit.

"You will–"

"I AM NOT, NOR WILL I EVER BE, INTERESTED IN LISA CUNNINGS!" I yelled at the top of my lungs when she tried to speak. Absolutely everyone turned to stare at me until they spotted Lisa. I heard snickering all around us.

"You're such a jerk, Frost!" Lisa yelled after me.

"Thank you! You finally noticed!" I yelled back at her. "Now leave me the fuck alone!"

I walked to the closest set of stairs, heading to our next class, when Ronny suddenly appeared next to me.

"That was cold, man," he laughed.

"Nothing else seems to work with her," I muttered.

"Yeah, she's set her eyes on you," he nodded. "You're probably the only guy who has turned her down, and it pisses her off."