66. Fair Warnings

Start from the beginning

I had a free period after the first one, so I headed to the library, like I always did. I couldn't help but notice people – especially the junkless ones – talking about me with hushed voices. It was obvious they were trying to guess what kind of girl I was dating. It seemed like the rumors were spreading faster than a wildfire.

"So, I heard you have a girlfriend back in Australia."

I came to a halt. I had no idea if I was in trouble or not. I turned around to see Troy walking the last few steps to me. He had no expression on his face.

"Hmmh..." I murmured. I couldn't say yes to his face, and if I denied it, the rumors would start circulating again. I wished Troy understood why I let this new rumor be born. The thing that really sucked was the fact I couldn't explain it to him right then and there, with more than two dozen people overhearing us.

Troy continued walking past me, gesturing for me to follow him with his index finger. Now I could tell he wasn't awfully happy with the new rumor, but I also knew he wasn't mad at me. I walked two steps behind him until we reached an empty, short hallway. It was at the back of the school, leading to an emergency exit with huge windows on the outer wall.

"So, I'm an Australian girl now?" Troy asked quietly, turning to look at me.

"I just wanted people to stop guessing who I'm going out with," I told him just as quietly, peering behind us to make sure no one was there.

He sighed and crossed arms on his chest. I felt cold inside when he did that – it made me feel rejected.

"I hate this," he said slowly, making me feel even worse.

"What?" I asked.

"Hiding. Sneaking around..." he sighed and stepped right in front of me. "Hearing stupid rumors about who my dude is dating..."

"O-Oh..." I murmured, mentally slapping myself for letting the insecure side of me get ahold of the steering wheel. "I'm sorry... I wish they would just fucking mind their own business..."

He let out a short chuckle and hugged me. "It can't be helped. Besides, I knew what I got myself into when I started dating the hot superstar of our school."

"I'm not–"

I wanted to object, but sadly, he knew exactly what to do to shut me up. More than that. When he pressed his lips on mine, I forgot what I wanted to say. When I felt his tongue against mine, I even forgot my own name.

And when he pulled back, it took me a moment to put my head back together. I wasn't in a hurry to do so, to be honest.

"One day, we won't need to hide this," Troy said with a small smile, resting his head on my shoulder. "I just need some time..."

"You can have all the time in the world. I only want what's best for you," I told him truthfully. Even though I hated the idea of him living with that scumbag he called his father, I understood why he was afraid.

"I know," he purred, and squeezed me tightly. Then he sighed. "I should go to my next class. Can I come over to your house after school?"

"Do you even have to ask?" I said, and he smiled at me.

"I guess not," he said, and pecked my lips again before letting go. "You better tell everyone that your Australian girl is the hottest creature on earth."

"Sure," I chuckled. "It is true anyway. Well, not the part about the Australian girl."

"No flirting when I'm trying to walk away," he said with a wink, and started walking, eventually leaving me alone in the hallway.