64. Closure

-Max-

-Max-

"So, this is how you've been spending your weekends lately?" Troy asked.

I turned to look back at him on a narrow trail. "Yeah. I really like this place. It's so nice and quiet," I said, and earned a happy smile from Sky, who was walking just behind me. But then that smile trembled.

"I know this isn't thrilling or anything... Some people think this is boring..." he spoke, looking at the ground.

How I hated to see him like that! Why was he always apologizing for getting excited, or believed that everyone else found everything related to nature boring and stupid? Why did he think everyone else thought he was boring and stupid?

"Only braindead people think this is boring," Luke said with a shrug.

Troy laughed. "What if I find this boring?" he asked, and I knew he was just teasing Luke, but he didn't see Sky's expression. Sky was way too damn insecure about everything related to himself, and even though he was smiling, I knew what he was thinking: what if Troy and Luke hated being there?

"Yeah, right," Luke scoffed. "I'll believe you once you wipe that grin off your face."

"What grin?" Troy grinned.

"Just look where you're going before you break your neck," Luke said, grabbed Troy by the arm and forced him around.

I followed his order as well and turned to see the pathway in front of me. Sky was in a better mood already. He skipped a couple of steps to me and continued walking by my side. I took his hand in mine and gave him a smile, which he returned.

Since we had so much time to spare, we had decided to go for a walk around the farm. We were heading up on the hill, with Bella dashing around like the happy little dog she was. When Luke was in Australia, and Sky was taking care of Bella, we had taken her with us to see the owls, so she was already an experienced camper, and I had to admit, I felt better when she was keeping guard.

"I can't believe I've spent so much time in the arcade when I could have come here for an adventure," Troy spoke cheerily, and Sky's smile grew wider. "I mean, look at this place! Hey! What's in there?"

I heard him stepping off the path and turned to look at him. Troy started jogging towards a big rock formation, Bella right at his heels. Sky grinned at me and pulled me off the pathway. We all followed Troy at a slower pace, and by the time we arrived at the rocks, Troy had already climbed up.

"This is so cool!" Troy said, looking around.

Sky let go of my hand and followed him up with such a radiant smile on his lips I couldn't help but smile as well. Bella tried to climb up to them, but she kept sliding down, until Luke went to help her past the steepest part.

"Just... don't fall and break your neck," I said.

The highest point was around ten feet above the ground, and there was barely enough room for all three of them. Sky – thankfully – sat down and wrapped his arms around Bella so she wouldn't go too close to the edge, but Troy continued looking around, not paying any attention to where he was placing his feet.