12. A Little Too Much

Start from the beginning

They were too busy checking their phones, anyway. As we walked through the hallways and eventually parked ourselves just outside the classroom, the constant beeping and buzzing followed. It was almost distracting, but no one else seemed bothered by the noises. Part of me hoped I'd get used to it fast, but another part of me just wanted to stay away. I mean, it only stopped when we entered the classroom, and even then I could hear a few beeps.

At least Max wasn't constantly staring at his phone – one of the reasons why he was so great – but even he did check it a few times.

During the first two periods, I did my best to focus like I always did, but for some reason I got even more easily distracted than normally. I just felt a little too restless. I'd slept well, and I didn't feel sick, so I wasn't quite sure why I was so on the edge. It was bad enough to bother me, that was for sure, and a few times I got almost annoyed with myself because I just couldn't focus.

And that beeping... Right after we left the classroom, it started again. Everyone pulled out their phones every time the class ended. I really wasn't used to that.

I was so grateful during lunch break when Max, Troy and I went to find a quiet table outside. I was glad to get away from the unnatural noises. I forgot all about them when we sat down, and Max put his tray right beside mine.

After five minutes, I felt great again. The wind in the trees swallowed most of the electronic noises, and we were far enough from others so I could finally ignore them. And when we started talking about our project and the trip to the barn, my mood skyrocketed.

Only to come crashing down...

"Yo, what's up?"

I peered up to see a few of Max and Troy's friends sit down at our table, one of them holding a phone. I tried not to look annoyed when I glanced at the device. The guy was barely able to put his tray down without spilling anything while he was too focused on his screen.

"Did you guys see the game last night?" one of them asked – I couldn't remember his name

I held back a sigh. Football. I remembered what Max and Troy had told me about the topic and took a closer look at them. They didn't look too enthusiastic to talk about the game either.

"Actually, we were playing a video game," Troy said.

"You should've seen it – it was epic!"

"Sure," Troy said, turning to look at me. "As I was saying, we chose swans for our project. There's this cute older couple living–"

"Look! Here's a clip!" the guy said and shoved his phone in Troy's face. "That's one hell of a touchdown!"

"Yes – so great," Troy said with a defeated voice.

"And this one!"

"I was trying to tell Sky about our biology project," Troy said politely, leaning away from the phone.

"Biology? The fuck you do with biology?" the guy asked, giving me a nasty glare. "That assignment is the stupidest thing I've ever had to do. Who gives a shit about nature?"

"Cain..." Max said with a warning tone.

I tried to shrink into oblivion under this Cain guy's hateful gaze. He was definitely one of those who didn't want me around. I knew his words were aimed at me, to make me feel bad or even scare me away. It nearly worked.

"What?" Cain asked, turning to look at Max. "Don't tell me he's turning you into a vegan?"

"And what's wrong with that?" Max asked, and it was clear he was getting agitated.