Hagrid, a Hero (Hagrid)

Hagrid a Hero?

“Yer wrong,” Hagrid insisted as Aragog sped down the corridor and out of sight.

“Am I?” Tom asked smugly. “I think not.”

“Yeh don’ know him like I do. He wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Hagrid declared, defending the creature that had become his only friend. Hagrid watched Aragog carefully, noting that he stopped just out of sight around the first corner.

“That thing,” Tom said, placing a delicate emphasis on the word ‘thing’, “has already attacked several Muggle born students. It needs to be destroyed before someone is seriously hurt. Before someone dies.” Tom turned to leave, calling out an ultimatum over his shoulder as he strode away callously. “Get rid of that thing by tomorrow, or I’ll be forced to go to Headmaster Dippet.”

Hagrid watched Tom’s retreating back, a deep scowl creasing his smooth face. His normally bright eyes were wary and clouded by a look of distrust. He’ll not wait until tomorrow. He stood there, his shoulder shaking with silent sobs as the time flew by. His mind raced in every direction as he weighed the options before him. He had no idea what would happen to his one true friend if he didn’t make the right decision. After an hour, after Hagrid had been down every possible path in his mind, he made the hardest decision of his thirteen-year-old life.

His mind made up, but his heart heavy, Hagrid leaned against the wall and sank to the floor. The coldness from the unforgiving tiles seeped into his legs. The roughness of the wall pressed into his back uncomfortably. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them tightly. He allowed his forehead to drop to his knees and he began to rock back and forth. With each backward rock, his shoulders bumped against the wall of the corridor painfully. His shoulders smarted and he knew that there would be severe bruising the next day, but he ignored the pain and continued to rock.

He choked back a loud sob, hoping that no one would wander down this particular corridor and find him in this embarrassing position. Tears flowed from his glinting black eyes. His nose had started to run and he could barely breathe without hiccoughing. He continued to rock steadily for many long, agonizing minutes.

Suddenly, Hagrid released his legs and sat up straight. His back was once again pressed against the unevenness of the wall. He swiped at his nose and eyes, attempting to dry his face. He pushed back his bushy hair with both hands before leaning his head against the wall. Using his left hand to keep his hair out of his eyes, and his right hand to cover them, Hagrid began to bawl.

The quiet tapping of eight legs on the floor reminded Hagrid of his decision. He began to waver, trying frantically to come up with an alternative to losing his best friend. He agonized over the options before him. Again, he came to the same conclusion. The only choice he could make was to set Aragog free.

If I don’, they’ll kill him.

Hagrid rose clumsily from the floor, his leg asleep from sitting against the wall awkwardly. He half hobbled, half hopped across the corridor to Aragog’s hiding place. He reluctantly approached the corner where he knew Aragog would be hiding.

Aragog watched him carefully as the approached. He knew that this was no ordinary visit. He had heard Hagrid speaking with that other boy, followed by Hagrid’s noisy hysterics. Aragog did not know what it meant, but he knew that his time in the castle was over. As soon as Hagrid was close enough, he scurried away and took off down the corridor.

“Aragog!” Hagrid bellowed. “Wait fer me.”

Hagrid tore after him. He was quick enough to keep him in sight, but not quick enough to catch him. After the first turn, Hagrid lost Aragog. He chose to continue on the path that led to the grounds outside of the castle.