Handling the Horcruxes

Harry’s Point of View

“We know that there are horcruxes. We are pretty sure that there are exactly seven, since Vol — Tom considers seven to be the most powerfully magical number. Once all of the Horcruxes are destroyed, then we think it will be possible to destroy the portion of Tom Riddle’s soul that resides in his ‘body’,” Hermione offered.

Who is she kidding? We don’t know for sure if we will ever be able to destroy Voldemort. What if I can’t destroy him? What if I have to die?

“We know that Tom Riddle’s diary was a Horcrux, and that it has been destroyed.” Ginny went first, getting her most painful memory out of the way.

Ginny…I’m so sorry.

“Marvolo’s ring was also destroyed,” Ron added.

Dumbledore…I’m so sorry.

“We are looking for Slytherin’s locket. We found it once, but it has been moved,” Ginny continued.

So many people hurt by the madness of one man. It ends with me.

“And Helga Hufflepuff’s cup,” Ron added.

How many people suffered for Tom to collect his treasures?

"Nagini, the snake, might be a Horcrux," Ginny continued.

I wonder if I’ll be able to talk to Nagini?

"I don't think she is," Harry interjected. "I don't think that Tom would trust another living creature with a portion of his soul." He’s too smart for that.

Luna surprised everyone by saying firmly, “The only way to destroy him is to change him back into the boy he was when he was Tom Riddle. Since that’s the way he will be during the final battle, it’s best to think of him that way now. We are starting with his name, which will destroy the power of his chosen name.”

Way to go, Luna! I can’t believe I ever doubted her.

Ginny smiled broadly at her classmate. “Exactly what I was thinking, Luna.”

“If Nagini is not a Horcrux, then that leaves two Horcruxes,” Harry said, knowing it was time for them to tread lightly. “Before he died, Dumbledore shared some of his theories with me. I believe that the last two Horcruxes belong to the remaining two founders of Hogwarts.” We need to tread lightly here. I don’t want them to be in danger because of something I told them.

“You know where they are?” Luna asked.

“I am confident that we will be able to figure it out with the knowledge that Dumbledore has passed on to us.” Harry replied somewhat shakily. Uh, yeah. I do. It’s just that I don’t want you to know yet.

“We need to discuss our travel plans once we reach King’s Cross Station,” Ginny said.

Watch what you say, Hermione.

“We will need to meet with the DA to discuss the possibility of a Death Eater attack,” Hermione began. “First we will have to go to Harry’s Aunt and Uncle’s house. We will be there for a fortnight. Then we will be returning to the Burrow for Bill’s wedding. After that, we will have to visit the Headquarters for the Order and Godric’s Hollow. We will need the plans for the DA to be in place before we return from those trips. We are fairly certain that there will be some heavy Death Eater attacks once they find out we have begun our search. The only time for us to meet before we leave on our journey is at Bill’s wedding.”

Perfect, Hermione. Tell them everything.

“You can count on us, Harry,” said Neville strongly, “we won’t let you down.”