01

01 : Memories (We're Strangers, Bastard)

[ KIM DEJI ]

I followed him with my eyes as he walked out of my office. As soon as he left, I purposely messed the papers on my table.

This is making me furious! How could a father say something like that? Is business more important to him?

"Ma'am..." Yejun held my arms, "A-are you okay..." I did not even noticed her entering the office. I sighed. Well, I don't have any other choice but to be okay.

"I can reschedule the meeting if-"

"It's okay, Yejun." I forcefully smiled, "I just have to be strong."

Yejun gave me a reassuring smile, "You're the strongest woman I have ever met, Ma'am. Whatever is that, I know you will overcome it."

I stared at her. How can I overcome this? How am I going to convince myself that it will be okay, when deep inside I am aware that it will never be, "Yejun, how? I tried so hard to move on."

I shook my head when I realized that Yejun won't be able to comprehend the thing I just said, "I'm sorry." she nodded as if she understood what I meant. It made me chuckle.

"Ma'am, are you going to wear the same clothes? Or should I prepare another?" she eyed me from head-to-toe.

It made me look at myself in the mirror, too. I am wearing a scarlet red pantsuit and ruffled v-neck long sleeves inside.

"This is okay."

After all, red symbolizes courage.

I REMOVED my sunglasses as I got out of the car. I gulped when I saw him through the glass window of the restaurant.

Although his style changed, his aura never did. He still has this stay-away-from-him vibe, but he looks so professional already. I wonder if his attitude changed.

"Prove to him that you've moved on already, Deji." I whispered to myself as I tightened my grip of the clutch bag I'm holding.

"Welcome, Ma'am. Table for one? Any reservations?" The staff welcomed me as soon as I entered. I looked at Heeseung and our eyes met.

"Oh, you are with Mr. Lee? Kindly follow me." How could he say that right away? I was just making an eye contact with Heeseung.

I sighed and followed him. "Enjoy your lunch." The staff smiled and left.

I sat in front of Heeseung. "How have you been, Deji?" his stern voice made me tense.

What the fuck. Come to your senses.

"I am fine. How about you?" I answered professionally. Thank God I did not stutter.

He gave me a mischievous smirk. He crossed his arms as he leaned on the backrest of the chair. It made me annoyed. How could he smirk right now? How could he act so chill in front of me after all that he did?

I would appreciate it if he'd look at least guilty and ashamed, but I am never seeing it on his face. All I see is pure arrogance and mischief.

"I am more than fine. How many years have it been again?"

3 years.

"I don't think we're here to talk about it, Mr. Lee. We need to discuss something more important."

He chuckled and echoed the words Mr. Lee. Why? Are you expecting me to call you by your name?

We're strangers, bastard. Strangers.

"I am just asking, Deji. You don't need to be upset."

"Don't worry, I am not." I gave him a fake smile.

"Okay if you say so..." he replied with a cheeky grin on his face. It's so annoying. Actually, just by looking at him is annoying already.

It seems like the memories that I fought so hard to ignore are suddenly resurfacing in shards.