42

42 : Misunderstanding (Even If You're Telling Lies)

[ LEE DEJI ]

I bit my lower lip while watching him sleeping on the couch. I closed my eyes and sighed before getting out of the bed. I gently pat Heeseung's arm,

"Lee Heeseung..." He did not respond. I crouched and drew my face closer to his. I gulped while examining his features.

My heart hurts again.

What could've happened if he didn't cheat? What if our relationship didn't fall apart?

We could've been happier now, Heeseung.

I flinched when his eyes slowly opened. He just stared at me without saying anything. The room is dark and the only thing that gave us light, is the moon from above.

I was about to stand up when he held my wrist. I almost fell on top of him. Good thing I was able to balance myself properly.

However, he suddenly grabbed my waist, causing me to completely fall on top of his body.

"I missed you so much..." He muttered under his breath. I swallowed hard as I felt my eyes getting watery.

I wanted to tell him I missed him, too, but I can't. My brain told me not to. I attempted to stand up again but he just held my waist more tightly.

"I hope you're aware that I am still into you." His voice almost broke.

I gritted my teeth and looked away. I wiped my tears on my cheeks. If he truly loves me then why did he cheat? Why did he hurt me?

Why did I feel pain instead?

"Let me go." I pushed him and properly stood up. I then gave him a ridiculous look, "I won't fall for your trap again, playboy."

He sighed and wiped his tears. My knees almost melted when I saw him crying.

"Do you now realize the things you've done? How does it feel?" I asked with emphasis.

He closed his eyes tightly and stood up, he then faced me. Pain was all over his face. I don't want to believe it, but he looks like he is really in pain.

However, I remember the time when he said that everything was just all of his act.

What if he's acting right now to make me fall for him again?

No.

I won't let that happen.

"Deji. What I said before... I didn't mean it..."

"Dad manipulated me. I didn't mean what I said that time. I was just making him angry. Please believe me... what I felt for you was real."

I scoffed, "You should've said that before. You should've told me the truth. Why did you cheat, instead?"

His expression suddenly changed, he took a step forward so I gulped and stepped backwards as well, but I didn't notice the bed behind me. I tripped and fell on it.

"No. You're the one who cheated, Deji." He sternly said, "You cheated with Nicholas."

I creased my forehead. I cheated? What the hell?

"Are you crazy? Why would I cheat? Stop making excuses!"

I pushed him hard but he didn't move. He was still on top of me without breaking an eye contact with me.

"Before the accident, someone sent me pictures of you and Nicholas. In a hotel room."

He suddenly drew his face closer. I could feel his hot breath that smells like mint mixed with cherries, and the tip of his nose on my neck.

I swallowed hard.

"Now tell me, Deji... did you really not cheat?"

I looked away, trying to remember it. Is it the day where his father gave me the recording as well? My mouth slightly opened as I looked at him, "Nicholas... he..."

Damn that guy.

"Hmm?" He responded.

"No... I was manipulated as well. Nothing happened between the two of us, Heeseung. I swear. It was all a misunderstanding. I'm also puzzled..."

"Then why were you with him? Can you explain it to me?" He sternly said.

"The day your father met me. I didn't know what has gotten unto me that time. Maybe I was driven by my emotions as well. I went with him in a bar, we drank, and I couldn't remember what happened next. However, I knew... I just knew Heeseung, that nothing happened."

He stared at me for long before sighing, "I am a man of intellect, yet when it comes to you, I get stupid, Deji. Fuck this."

I creased my forehead, "What?"

"I believe you... even if you're telling lies right now. I will believe you."