Specks

Specks by Matt Pond PA

________

Y/N's POV

My parents are paying me a visit for the holidays. It's been a while since we spent it together, and I'm more than excited to pick them up later tonight. During the three years I spent in London, my mom was only able to pay me a visit once during the holidays, and my dad was deployed in Germany. A lot of those days were spent with my mom, and of course, Florence. They hit it off and the thought alone made me miss her more. I hope she's doing well.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I flinched out of fear when someone knocked on my door. When I opened the door, a smile lit up on my face. I didn't expect to see her here.

"Elizabeth?"

"Sorry to bother, but Maya practically dragged me in here."

I chuckled, "No, it's okay."

"Mom, I was right!" Maya exclaimed. "She still hasn't decorated her place."

Lizzie gave me a look, "Y/N..."

"I haven't gotten around to it because I've been... busy?" I lied.

"Yeah-yeah." She scoffed. "Can we come in?"

I gave her a slight nod before they entered my living room. I followed them, a bit sluggish because I feel slightly embarrassed that it's Christmas Eve tomorrow and I have yet to decorate my apartment.

"What do you have there, little bear?" I asked, pointing at a box container she's holding.

"Mom woke up extra early and made these Christmas cookies for you."

"She did?" I glanced at her.

Maya nodded, "She did. When I woke up, I found her in the kitchen singing and smiling so much. She looked so happy so I joined her and helped decorate."

I took another glance at her, who was standing awkward behind the little one, fidgeting because she was put on the spot. How cute.

"Can I have one?"

"Of course."

Maya opened the container eagerly, revealing vibrant, adorable Santa Claus and Reindeer cookies. I grabbed one that caught my eye and took a generous bite.

"Do you like it?" Lizzie asked.

"No." I finished chewing.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"I love it." I smiled. "Loosen up a little, Elizabeth. I'm a sucker for your cookies."

"Her cookies are the best." Maya added.

Lizzie cleared her throat, "Maya brought something else for you. Well, for us."

"Ooooh, what is it?"

I kneeled to her level, and watched her excitedly pull three matching Christmas hats out of her backpack. She handed me one, but insisted she put it on me so I let her. She took hers and wore it herself. I took Lizzie's hat and dressed it on top of her head. She gave me a warm smile, which I reciprocated.

"Do you have Christmas decorations?" Maya asked.

"I do, little bear." I nodded. "Do you want to help me decorate?"

"Can we do that? Please?" She gave me her puppy dog eyes.

"Of course, let's do it!"

I was running around my apartment, in search of the boxes in which I kept all the trinkets and decorations. Lizzie teased me for being forgetful and that I didn't know my own apartment. When she found it, it only added fuel to the fire, and she practically laughed at me for looking with my mouth and not my eyes.

Strangers, Againजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें