roses and sunflowers

roses and sunflowers by Timmy Albert

________

Lizzie's POV

My body slowly gained into consciousness as the light from outside creeped its way through the curtains and into my bedroom. It took a second for my eyes to adjust, but when it did, the first thing I felt was Y/N's arms wrapped around my waist as our legs entangled closed together. It didn't take a second until my face drew a smile, remembering how my night ended. I can't even begin to fathom how close we are to each other. The way her chin rests upon my shoulder and her soft breathing pattern were more than enough to make me feel the happiest person in the world.

I held her close, my hands barely touching hers, but it feels as though they are where they need to be. I've missed this in ways I didn't think possible. I feel safe and sound being inside of her arms no matter how much I insist on being the big spoon sometimes when we are together. When she moved again, my entire body froze. Y/N buried herself into the embrace, the distance between us is nonexistent. The blood rushed through my veins, my heart felt more calmed than ever, and the walls around me that felt suffocating for the longest doesn't seem so bad anymore. For a moment, everything was perfect. For a moment, it was just us.

I didn't want to do as much as move a muscle, so I allowed myself to take comfort within her embrace. And just like that, I fell right back to sleep, knowing that she's here with me. I didn't think I could fall back to sleep, but I did. Comfortably. When I woke up, my heart sank because I could no longer feel her arms around me. My body jolted as I looked around, in search of her presence. I began to panic because I didn't want it to be a dream.

I stared deeply into the oblivion of the empty space beside me, wondering if we really slept in the same bed last night. I'm not one to overthink, but it did seem too good to be true. My hands began to feel clammy as my teeth sunk into the nail of my thumb, wondering if I dreamt any of it. The many scenarios invaded my mind and drove me insane. I jumped out of bed out of frustration and checked on Maya to see if she's awake. To my assumption, she's still sleeping soundly. I made my way downstairs where I heard noises from the kitchen.

I could finally take a deep breath when my gaze followed her. I stood admiring Y/N from afar with my heart out of my sleeve. It reminded me of how we used to be, and how those simple moments are the sum total of why I fell in love with her in the first place. A familiar feeling that my heart longed for. Whatever it is, and who I might become, I just know that this, her, my path will always align with her.

"Oh, good morning, Elizabeth." Y/N greeted me with a smile on her face. "How was your sleep?"

"Pretty great." I answered as I sat in front of the countertop, facing her direction. "What about yours?"

"Pretty great as well." She mimicked my energy, pouring me a cup of coffee. "I hope you're hungry because I'm making pancakes."

I never knew how much I've missed seeing that smile until now. I swear, my heart did an endless amount of somersaults. I could practically scream my happiness if I could. I miss waking up to this.

"I'm guessing Maya is still sleeping?"

I took a quick sip, "Yep." I diverted my attention toward the woman who's too occupied perfecting whatever it is she's making. "Do you need a hand?"

"No, but I wouldn't mind you keeping an eye on the bacon while I make pancakes."

"I'd be happy to do that." I smiled.