|| 𝐖𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐇𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲? ||

Start from the beginning

"Do you remember when you first met the Defendant?"

"In my reality, I first met Luna Gillian during the five-year mission aboard the U.S.S Enterprise."

"And what was your impression of her?"

Ambassador Spock paused before answering. "I believed she was dangerous. Full of anger and hatred."

That sounds accurate, Luna thought to herself. She was about to zone out, believing the outcome of the trial was already decided, but Samuel's next question revived her focus.

"And what about the last time you saw her?" He asked. "Before you ended up in the past?"

A smile graced the Vulcan's features. "The last time I saw Luna Gillian, she was assisting with the effort to save Romulas from the black hole."

"So, she remained in your life even after all those years?"

"Of course. Throughout the duration spent working with Starfleet, she found a new purpose. At first, our relationship was...difficult, but in time, we became friends. I was surprised to discover that we were more alike than I originally thought."

Luna nearly laughed out loud. She would have believed this was all false if it weren't for the fact that Vulcans were incapable of lying. Even if they were closer in this other reality, why would Ambassador Spock do this for her?

"Objection!" Shaw's voice rang through the silence. "How can the Ambassador's statement be relevant to Miss Gillian's situation in this reality, if she is on an entirely separate path?"

"Overruled, Miss Shaw." The Judge looked back at Ambassador Spock with his eyebrows furrowed in curiosity. "I do believe all the scheduled witnesses have given their statements. This court will be adjourned while the Council determine the final sentence. Dismissed."

☆☆☆

Luna took a long drag of her cigarette and shut her eyes, finding comfort in the cold January breeze that rippled through her hair. The Council had been deciding her fate for the best part of an hour. She had managed to convince the guard to let her smoke one last time.

"I thought I might find you out here."

Luna looked up to see Ambassador Spock emerging from the exit door to her right. "Guess that means I still have these in the future," she said, gesturing to her cigarette.

The Vulcan raised a single eyebrow and chuckled. "It does."

As he grew closer, the security guard's hand tightened around his phaser. "Sir, she's not restrained. For your safety, I-"

"Miss Gillian is not going to hurt me, or anyone for that matter," Ambassador Spock said, calmly. "If you don't mind, Officer, I would appreciate a moment of privacy."

The guard hesitated, but soon nodded and moved further down the gravel path.

"Thank you...for speaking for me in there," Luna said. She blew out a plume of smoke and smirked. "Samuel really stuck his neck out to get the best witnesses."

"It was no trouble."

The brunette pursed her lips and leant against the wall. "I'm gonna be honest, this is probably the most bizarre interaction I've ever had. And considering my age, that's saying something."

Ambassador Spock chuckled again, joining his hands behind his back. "To me, you are young."

"Yeah, right," Luna scoffed. "Five-hundred and ninety-five. I'm in my prime years."

"You are indeed."

"I was joking."

"I am aware."

"Didn't think Vulcans understood the complexities of sarcasm."