Chapter 15

"Izuku."

Class 1-A was in the waiting room. They were all changed into their P.E. uniforms to make it fair across all courses.

"Class 1-A!" Iida burst through the door.

"EEK!" Mina squealed.

"Was that necessary?" Izuku deadpanned.

Iida ignored Izuku. "Get ready, we're about to enter the arena-"

Shoto pushed past Iida who was still standing at the doorway.

"Izuku."

He stared Izuku dead in the eye.

"I will win."

"Huh?"

"You may be my best friend, but I am stronger than you and I will defeat you."

Izuku stared stunned at his best friend's eyes which was burning with determination.

Izuku grinned.

"AND NOW, WE HAVE CLASS 1-A!" The speaker screamed.

"Let's knock 'em dead!" Katsuki shouted.

The others grinned as Iida shoved his classmates along.

A bright light shined on them. The crowd cheered. Other students from different courses shuffled in.

The sports festival has officially begun!

"WELCOME TO U.A'S ANNUAL SPORTS FESTIVAL!!!" Present Mic greeted the roaring crowd. "THE ONLY TIME OF THE YEAR IT'S PERFECTLY FINE TO WATCH CHILDREN BEAT EACH OTHER TO A BLOODY PULP!!"

"Don't you ever use a filter?" A bored voice came from behind him.

"NOT AT ALL, MY DEAREST ERASER HEAD!" Present Mic chortled. "NOW, LET'S JOIN OUR WONDERFUL STUDENTS DOWN AT THE FIELD. MIDNIGHT, TAKE IT AWAY!!"

"Thank you, Hisashi darling~" Midnight crooned. She was the Chief Referee for the Festival. She cracked her whip upward. 

"Now, we will be having our top two scorers for both the written and practical exam. It is IZUKU MIDORIYA and KATSUKI BAKUGO!!"

The crowd roared in applause. Izuku's stomach was filled with butterflies that were twisting itself in knots. 

Why me? He thought as he slowly ascended the stage. They know I have stage fright!

He watched as his best friend raced up the steps in front of him.

The crowd hushed as Izuku slowly grabbed the microphone. 

"Hi?" Izuku panicked. What should he say? No one informed him about this! His eyes caught Midnight's and she gave him a quick smirk.

Millions of eyes across the country stared right through his soul. Izuku gulped. Using his old yet failed tactic, he imagined everyone to be potatoes. 

"The athlete oath... what was it again?" Izuku murmured to himself.

"Everyone of you, if you ever feel discourage, repeat this. "Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt!"

「みなさん、頑張ってください!」

'Minasan, ganbattekudasai!'

"EVERYONE, DO YOUR BEST!"

The crowd cheered wildly.

"And," Katsuki interrupted. The crowd fell silent. "Make no mistake, I'm going to take first place." He announced, glaring at the students below him. His classmate drooped in disappointment and embarrassment.