-24-

I didn't even realise when i began to 'feel' emotions again. Was it when I remembered Thunder? Or was it when...I saw that man's expression?

The sharp sting of disinfectant on my skin brought me back from my stray thoughts. I absent-mindedly played with a strand of my blonde hair. I removed my mask, as I was safely on the ship again.

"Safe? ", my inner voice chimed. I really hated myself for it. The crew had given me shelter, food and friendship, while all I had done was doubt them. And I couldn't stop doing it again.

"Maybe joining you is not as impossible as I thought." I muttered in a low voice.

"Maybe what?" I heard the familiar, familiar voice in my head.

There he was. That fucking stupid bird who just had to dive in and get himself in danger.

"I don't even know whether I should cry or curse you right now." I spoke in my mind-voice.

"I really like it better when you're cursing." , Thunder chuckled.

"Fuck you. Really, fuck you, Thunder. Don't ever do that again." I managed, without breaking down.

Not interested in continuing, Thunder flew off with a simple nod.

I sighed. Chopper had left, and only I and the kenshi remained in the room.

I had forgotten about him in my concern about Thunder. My heart pounded strangely when I did remember him.

I slowly raised my eyes to meet his. He gaze didn't waver. He looked intently, as if to find some answer hidden in my eyes. Finally, he sighed. But his eyes never left mine.

"Are you an Idiot, woman? I thought you were smart enough to handle yourself, so I let you leave. I didn't know that you'd end up dying, without your birds. You know what, learn to stand on your own two feet. Come on, pick your sorry self up, and meet me in the Crow's nest."

He turned and started to walk away.

It took a second to sink in what he said.

Idiot, woman?...end up dying...learn to stand...

Wait, did I deserve that shit?

"Roronoa, fucking STOP.", I growled, my voice dropping dangerously low.

"I wish you would just stop speaking about things you don't know. And no, I will NOT meet you at crow's nest. I'm not someone you get to order around. I'm a woman who has survived on her own fucking strength when some goddamned freaks were chasing her. And you know what, they tortured her until the brink of death every time they caught her. But I'm not afraid of them, and I'm not afraid of you. Why? Because I'm Trinity fucking Nala. And you know why this hurts, it's because it's you, kenshi. Not anyone else, but you."

By the end of my rant, my voice was barely a whisper and I couldn't help a tear rolling down my cheek.

" O-oi. I'm-" Zoro pleaded extending a hand towards me.

I slapped his hand down and glared at him right in the eye.

"What, you're sorry now?" I tried sounding angry, but my voice broke. It was like the stopper broke, and now the tears wouldn't stop.

God, I couldn't even imagine how embarrassing it would be if someone walked in.

Firm hands clasped my shoulders. He was holding me as if I were a delicate lady, and I couldn't help but forgive him. Just a bit.

He drew in a huge breath, and half-shouted.

"Don't go ahead and misunderstand! I didn't...mean what I said. I don't know what the fuck happens to me when it comes to you. I just...loose control. Normally, I wouldn't have cared if someone went and died in a ditch."

He sighed and released me. " Anyway, sorry, Nala. I know you're not weak. Firsthand." His eyes lit up and he smirked a bit. "I just meant I can help you get stronger."

Not trusting myself to speak, I just nodded with a pout. Gosh I missed my mask.

And my heart's loud thumping wasn't helping either.

"...by the way, I heard what you said earlier. About joining us.", he said half-casually.

I expected him to say something more.

" So, you think it's a no-go?" I tried passing it as casual, but ended up sounding shy.

"Mmm.. honestly I don't care as long as you stay on the ship."

Sighing, I realized this is what I should have expected. Roronoa didn't care for formalities.

" Roronoa, I... still need to talk to you. I'll come to Crow's nest tomorrow. And maybe I'll take you up on that offer."

I flashed him a smile, and it was my first genuine smile of the day.