51 I Love You Just a Little Too Much

Celia

"Celia! Wake up, you need to leave!"

"Where are we going, mommy?" The wheels speed against the gravel.

She packed my toys and stole daddy's car before sneaking us out at night.

"Away, Celia." She breathes with a smile of relief. "Away from here."

"Celia, wake up!"

Alcohol's sharp punch hits my nose, jolting me awake. I'm in Chanel's room, lying in her bed.

Alex then jumps in front of my face. His laugh echoes like a nightmare. Somehow I'm back in the garage, kneeling on concrete. He fists my hair while the other men watch. Ari cries outside.

"Ari? Ari!" I jump out of bed. I run out of the room.

"In the living room!" Chanel yells from the bed.

I stomp my bare feet across the wooden tiles, whirling into the living room. Ari's on the couch, watching TV.

She runs to me with the same urgency and I hug her, dropping on my knees.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry—" I whisper through dry sobs. "I'm so, so sorry, Ari. I'm sorry."

"And I'm sorry, but we don't have time." Chanel grabs my arm and pulls me up. "Here, drink this quickly."

A white cup of espresso is pushed into my hands.

"Did I die?" I blurt out. "Is this a welcome ceremony— coffee before flames? Of course you'd be the host."

"Only you'd joke right now." She gives me a blank look, pointing her chin at the cup. "Drink. Hurry. You need to get out of here."

"Where's Gio?" I bring it up to my lips, grimacing from the hot, bitter liquid.

"He'll meet you there."

"Where? In hell?"

"How are you joking right now?" Her mouth slacks open. "Celia, are you okay?"

"My childhood best friend attacked me today. No. I'm not okay." I smile, but my throat constricts with a snake-like grip. "I'm okay."

Chanel frowns. "I'm really sorry. But honey, you need to be strong. You need to leave right now, okay? Right now. Aram is coming."

"Where am I going?"

"To Oscar's." She holds my arm, leaning closer. "I'll stall him, okay?" She glances at Ari then at me. "He can't find you. Do you understand?"

I nod again, pushing the demons laughing in the back of my head.

Last time I ran away in the middle of the night was ten years ago, with my mom.

Now I'm doing it with Ari.

Is she going through what I did?

Chanel takes us to Gio's truck. I sit in the driver's seat, noticing the luggages in the back.

I frown. "Did Gio pack? Why didn't he stay? Where is he right now?"

"He didn't, I did." Chanel settles Luna on Ari's lap. "He had to take care of something. He came and then he left. I don't know where he is."

"In other words he's with Alex! Chanel. Did he go alone? Did he take someone? Is Chase with him?"

Chanel closes Ari's door and rushes around to me. "Drive safe, but go fast. Text me when you get there, okay? Bye Ari! Keep an eye on each other, alright?"