49 I Made A Big Mistake

trigger warning

Celia

She's too pretty.

She's the girl you see in the movies. The redhead next door everyone loves. The secret freak. The one with an assertive smirk and knowing eyes, innocent freckles and a melodic laugh.

Worst of all, she also knows how to dress.

Brown high-heel boots that make her legs long. Dark denim jeans, snug on curvy thighs. A soft, green button-down, accentuating her breasts that are much bigger than mine.

My heart pounds so fast, I don't realize the three of us are already standing face to face.

"I thought you'd be home by now," she says to Gio, making me scowl.

Bottled tension radiates from him. "You could've called."

She chuckles. I picture her screaming as I rip off her hair. As if sensing my rage, she drifts her attention to me and scans my outfit.

"... Celia, my girlfriend." Gio finishes while the two of us stare. "Celia, this is Vivien. My ex-wife."

"How's the adjustment going?" She coos to me. I scowl harder at her condescending tone.

"What adjustment?" I look at Gio. "You guys talk? Why didn't I know about this?"

"You shouldn't be here," Gio warns, growing more annoyed. "Ari wasn't supposed to see you."

"Then let's get out," she raises an exasperated brow, scoffing under her breath.

"Excuse me?" I twist to fully face Gio and he gives me a cold look.

"Go inside. I'll be back in an hour."

"Excuse me?" I say louder.

"I need to talk to her alone."

"Really?" I smile sarcastically, then turn serious. "Walk with me before you regret it."

I stride straight at Vivien, not waiting for her to get out of my way, causing her to stumble and curse under her breath. Gio follows me inside the house without a word and shuts the door.

"Are you kidding me right now?" I laugh.

"It's not what you think," he says in a clipped tone, pressing his lips. His arm swings to the side, punching the wall behind him.

"Bravo for that performance nobody asked for. Now use your words." I cross my arms.

"I don't have time to explain, Celia. It'll have to wait until I'm back. And watch the way you talk to me, my patience has limits." He passes me to open the door, but I slam it shut and glare at him.

"Do I look like the type of bitch that's going to stay home while you go out with your ex-wife and not tell me why? Tell me what the fuck is going on!"

"I need her to do something." He pins me with a look that says not to push it. "And I'll tell you when I'm back. And yes, you'll stay home and watch Ari. She can't know about this."

"You expect me to lie? For something I don't even know about?" Defeat sinks down my rage. He really is going to leave. No matter what I say.

His bunched eyebrows relax, and he sighs, voice back to normal. "I didn't want any of this. I'm sorry. She did it on purpose and it worked."

Suddenly he cups my face and kisses me, holding me to him for one long, frustrated moment. His grip and harsh breath telling me he needs this.

"I'm sorry..." he whispers, brushing his thumbs over my cheeks. "Please trust me. Listen to me. I wouldn't do anything to hurt you. You know that, right? You know how much I love you?"