18 You're So Stubborn

Gio

"Okay," Ari whispers, dashing out on her tip-toes.

The black curtains block the light, leaving the room dark and calm. The wind-chime outside tangles with the wind as Celia's fragrance wafts the air, leaving a mark on my bed.

With a small whine, she curls into a ball again and tucks her hands under her cheek. Her lips squeeze into a pout, making me chuckle. I pull the sheets further up her shoulder, allowing my arm to linger over her for a brief, guilty moment.

Her fragile body rises and falls under me with each small breath. I carefully brush her hair away from her face, amazed by how soft and delicate her skin feels under my fingers.

She inhales sharply, giving me a heart attack and I quickly withdraw my hand. To make matters worse, Luna beside me meows in protest, I didn't even realize she's there.

I catch her before she jumps on Celia and set her down, pushing my hand on her butt to make her sit. She meows angrily and I lift my finger over my mouth to silence her.

A chuckle makes me look up, finding Celia staring at me, eyes agleam with amusement.

"Sorry..." I mumble, looking down. "I uh, I thought you might be more comfortable here..."

"I am," she says, voice calm.

I observe her curiously, wondering how in the world she seems so peaceful in my bed. So at ease as if she's done it a million times before, while I'm seated on the floor, flustered as hell.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks.

My pulse gets quicker, tempting me to run out of the room and order dinner, but I stay. Tentatively, I get up and sit on the bed, split between facing her and the closet ahead.

"Gio?" she softly calls me and I turn to look at her. "I'm sorry."

"What for?"

She bites her fingernail, breaking eye-contact. "For scaring you. I'm sorry for scaring you."

We sit for a moment, Ari's cartoon noise muffled from the living.

"I'm sorry for thinking that I know what's best for you," I murmur.

"Maybe you do."

"Why do you say that?" I wonder and she blushes a little.

"I don't know, I kind of... trust you?"

I chuckle. "Kind of?"

"A little." She smiles.

I'm paralyzed by how innocent she acts sometimes, almost scared by how it disarms me.

"Where's Ari?" she asks.

"She's watching TV," I say quietly and she hums.

Somehow the silence is too natural between us, no pressure to fill it.

"I have to tell you something," I say, stomach unpleasantly fluttering.

She raises her brows, then slowly sits up, bringing her knees to her chest. Her arms fold under her chin as she peeks under her lashes. I take a deep breath and turn to face her fully.

"I like you," I say, noting how her eyes widen just slightly. "I'm not going to act like I don't, because I do. I don't play games and I don't like lies."

"Okay..." she drawls, knowing there's more.

"But," I wet my lips, stalling for courage. "I'm not going to do anything about it."