41 Our First Thanksgiving

Gio

Celia comes out of the room ten or fifteen minutes later. Wearing a black turtleneck.

That's right. She changed. She's matching with me.

With her cute little gray skirt, black leggings, and boots. Lips red and hair all wavy.

Chase smirks at me under his lashes, shaking his head when I ask what's so funny.

I'm at the head of the table. Ari and Liam across from me. On my right is Chase, Arthur and Oscar. On my left is an empty chair, then it's Marilyn and Chanel and another empty chair.

Obviously she'll sit next to me—

Chanel.

"Oh, fuck. I forgot about your disgusting perfume." She leaves gaping Chanel behind and comes to slump down beside me.

"What?" She rolls her eyes at me when I stare, unraveling the white napkin over her lap.

"I think your perfume is nice, Chanel." Arthur compliments.

"Just don't swim in it." Chase shrugs; I kick his shin under the table. "Please."

"Can you not talk to me? Your piercings just creep. Me. Out." She sips her white wine.

Chase flicks his pierced tongue like a crazy maniac, making Chanel choke on her drink.

"Gio has no complaints. He likes it." Chase bites his cornmeal roll and winks at me. "Right, baby?"

"Shut up."

"Gio, start the prayer." Marilyn whispers excitedly.

Celia snorts under her breath, I try not to smirk.

"Marilyn, did you know that the last time I prayed, I ended up meeting Celia?" I ask.

Celia turns pink. She keeps her head down. I love how embarrassed she gets. It's so rare, but cute.

"Aw, are you saying she's a blessing?" Chanel cooes.

"No. She's a curse." I nod seriously, then get kicked under the table. "Ow!"

"I'm the devil." Celia sighs, folding her hands under her chin. "Chase, let's drink."

"Soon. Let's have daddy Gio pray, then it's party time with uncle Chase." He nods reassuringly and puts his hands together, closing his eyes. "I have a lot to apologize for."

"Please. Keep everything to yourself." I am not even kidding. I turn to the rest of the table. "Alright, people. Let's start this... thing."

"It's a prayer honey, not a business meeting. Don't sweat it. You'll do great." Marilyn comforts.

The group puts their hands together and closes their eyes, actually going along with it. Jesus, I'm about to make an idiot out of myself.

"Dad, tell Luna to close her eyes!"

"Luna, please close your eyes."

"I'm an atheist." Celia speaks in what I assume is meant to be Luna's voice, which sounds like a cartoon witch.

"Shh!" Marilyn hushes.

"Okay..." I bow my head, taking another deep breath. "Hello, Lord. Oh, God. I mean, hello God."

Celia snickers and I just know she's thinking something dirty, which only gushes blood to my already flustered face.

"Sorry." I laugh then clear my throat to cover it. "I'm sorry. I don't do this... often. But you know, maybe I should?" I hesitate to say the next words, but something feels different. "Good things have been happening around you, maybe not in the most traditional way, but, what's traditional about us? We're all weird and different."