I heard the front door open downstairs, which pulled me back to reality, and I quickly went back over to my stool, not wanting to make it obvious that I was checking my fit out in the mirror.  I pulled my phone back up the picture I was recreating, and picked back up my brush.

That was when the boy of the hour appeared in my doorway, wearing a huge smile on his face.

"Hey."

"Why is this exactly what I thought you would look like when you painted?"

I just scoffed and put the brush down, "Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it's cute."

I could tell he probably didn't mean to say that, by the look on his face, but I thought it was sweet, "Thank you."

He sighed and came over to my side, looking at what I was working on, "What do you think?"

"Beautiful," He smiled and glanced over to me.

Something's telling me that he's not talking about my painting anymore.

I returned his expression and brought my knees to my chest, "What have you been up to?"

"Dealing with Sarah and Topper mainly. I needed a break from them."

"You know you can come over here whenever."

I watched as he made his way over to my bed and sat down next to Sadie who was knocked out, "Yeah."

I was about to say something else, but he beat me to it, "Can I say something?"

I nodded, signaling for him to continue, which he did after staying silent for a few moments, obviously gathering his thoughts.

"Hallie, I- I'm not very good at opening up to people, or really just having relationships in general, but uh.. I can't deny that I like being around you. You're amazing, and I know this is a lot, but Sarah is the one who thinks I should tell you all of this."

He smiled and I did too when our eyes met.  I assumed this wasn't out of character for Sarah to butt in on Rafe's life.

"Anyways, I just know I like you, and I can't get you out of mind.  I know we just met, but I feel like if I don't tell you this now, I might miss my chance.  You don't have to say anything, I wouldn't expect you to, but I just had to get that off my chest."

I couldn't deny that a wave of relief washed over me after hearing those words, because I felt exactly the same.  It was insane to me that Rafe consumed by thoughts as much as he had been since we met, but he was, and it was pushing me over the edge. 

I was also horrible at opening up to people about my past, and it affected a lot of my previous relationships, so I totally understood where he was coming from.

"I'm sorry Hallie, I-"

"I like you too."

"What?"

He looked up from his fingers at my words, and when his eyes instantly met mine, relief seemed to wash over his face simultaneously.