•54•

Taehyung

"Do you have everything?" Jungkook's voice is stressed and firm as he yells from the bathroom over to us.

"Yes!" Sora calls back as I watch her pack the last of her belongings into the extra-large suitcase. But it almost doesn't fit.

We hear stomping footsteps until Jungkook appears in the doorway to the guest room. "And what's this?" he holds a toothbrush in his hand, raised up next to his face and his eyes wide, scolding.

"Oh, I forgot." Sora laughs.

"Yeah, oh." Jungkook overreacts.

"Chill, it's just a toothbrush that costs two bucks. I'm going to buy a new one anyway." Sora rolls her eyes and snatches her toothbrush from his hand before putting it in her small bag that she will take with her on the plane.

"Yeah, but what were you going to use on the flight that's over 13 hours?" he asks and I chuckle under my breath at the ridiculous argument these two always have. I don't have siblings, but I guess that's how you are with them. Always fighting.

"I'd deal with it and just use mouthwash." Sora throws her T-shirt in the suitcase and starts zipping it up.

"That..." he points at her, "is gross."

"Just because you brush your teeth ten times a day with two toothbrushes doesn't mean it's gross if you only do it once because you have no other choice." Sora punches Jungkook in the rib as she walks past him and Jungkook scowls at me when he hears my snort. "Clean freak."

After a lot of back and forth and arguing, we finally manage to step out of the room Sora has been staying in for the past few weeks. I feel my eyes almost fall out of their sockets from the many times I've had to roll them because of Jungkook's childish accusations of me snooping in Sora's underwear dresser.

If only he knew that I saw much more than that. But he doesn't need to know. While he has no problem with Sora and me talking, he is still protective. Very protective. But I can't blame him for that, because I'd probably do the same thing if I had a sister. Maybe even worse.

But the reason that he's probably rather okay with it is that he can't protect two people at once and be there for them emotionally. I can see that he cares about Sora as well and takes care of her as best he can, but Irina's situation is much worse than we all combined.

I have been trying as best as I can the last few weeks to help where I can, although I can't say I am a person who knows how to comfort people. I can see the sadness and shock in Sora's eyes and it kind of hurts me because I can't make it better. It makes me feel bad that she had to see such bad things, even though she had nothing to do with it.

And Irina? What can I say about her to get the weight off my shoulders?

I still can't believe that everything Gabriel said is true. At first, I was skeptical that he might have gotten Nikolai to say the things he wanted him to say through the indescribably painful torture. But knowing Nikolai as well as I do, he would never admit to anything that isn't true.

I don't know why he confessed the whole story in the first place, because he knew that Gabriel wouldn't let him out of there alive anyway, he could have just kept quiet. I don't know why he admitted what he did.

Maybe he wanted to justify himself. But maybe he wanted to die an easy death after the weight of the years-long secret was finally lifted. Maybe he really did love Irina like a daughter. I don't know.