•48•

"Yes, mom." I sigh discreetly, probably for the hundredth time. "I will."

"And Sora?" she asks, and I can hear the frustration she's feeling on the other side of the line.

We've been talking for ten minutes about why neither I nor Sora flew back to Korea. I keep telling her that I have things to do and of course as a mother she wants to know what those things are. And I can't just tell her like that.

Besides the fact that I can't tell her that I joined the mafia, she still doesn't know that the reason I'm still here is Irina. I couldn't tell her that I have a girlfriend. I don't know the reason myself yet.

"Sora booked her plane ticket for next week," I inform, pinching my nose.

"She hasn't been answering my calls, you're the only one I can ask." she continues.

"I'll tell her to do it," I say quickly. "Mom, actually I'm just about to meet up with her. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay, love you son." I hear her smile.

"Love you too."

I end the call and sigh deeply. I am a bad son and I am reminded of that every day. If she experienced even a fraction of the things I do, she would have a heart attack. But I can't do anything but just drown in my regrets, because I'm not going to give up the most important thing in my life.

At least I am not lying to her. I mean she doesn't know the complete truth, but I don't feel bad because the first thing our mother taught us was to always be honest. And that's why it's not a lie that I'm going to meet with Sora because she sent me a message that she's coming over.

Even though I don't like the fact that Sora is practically tailing us, and judging by the fact that she is very observant and smart, and that it makes me nervous, I don't want to mess up the only friendship that Irina has built.

The two of them get along great and do things together every now and then. Now that Irina no longer has the burden of studying on her shoulders, she has more time and I love the smile she always has on her lips whenever she comes back from a day out with my sister.

And today Sora just wanted to come chill so we could have a movie night. She texted an hour ago that she was on her way, but she still hasn't shown up here.

Since Nikolai is still not back, which makes me kind of worried, I can be relieved that Sora shows up unannounced sometimes. I don't appreciate that, but I couldn't get Sora to listen to me so far anyway so it's whatever.

"I'm going to get the drinks from the kitchen," I inform Irina, who is putting the blankets and pillows from her bed on the floor and arranging them. "Do you need anything?"

"No, thank you." she smiles up at me and I place a quick kiss on her lips before stepping out of her room and sprinting down the stairs.

Irina is already used to mom calling all the time and liking to ask the same questions. We've both gotten used to it, although at first, Irina felt bad about it because she thought it was her fault that I was away from home for so long.

But she doesn't realize that she is my home. And I will eventually reunite with my family and friends, so I don't pick at it too much.

I walk toward the kitchen, thinking about calling Sora to ask where she is, since I'm sure it won't take that long to get here from my apartment, but I decide against it. Arriving in the kitchen, I groan as I open the fridge and notice that it's out of my favorite beverage.