•34•

I struggle as I swing my leg over the railing and try to hold onto the flat wall. From up here, everything always looks so high and I've forgotten how high the balcony actually is above the ground. Must probably be because it's been a long time since I climbed around here.

But this time there is a difference because I no longer have access from my beloved tree but have to climb over the room next to Irina's through the connected balcony. I could just use her bedroom door and save myself the effort, but I can't risk anyone catching us.

Always having in the back of our minds that someone could see us at any second is exhausting and draining. Still, we make the best of it and don't let this little - or maybe big - problem destroy our relationship.

A small smile from her is enough for me to ignore and turn off everything around me. The small hitch of her breath, whenever I have just the lightest touch with her skin when others are also present, is what makes me smile. Despite the fear of being caught, she doesn't push me away or tell me to stop.

It's exciting even if the consequences wouldn't be exciting at all if Nikolai or one of his men, for example, saw me climbing through the balcony into Irina's room right now, but I'm definitely not going to throw my feelings or my desire to be near her into a corner because of it.

"Woah, shit." I gasp out a breath, my heart suddenly beating a mile an hour as my foot slips a little on the metal railing.

I still manage to hold on tight and feel a drop of sweat run down along my temple. These dress shoes are slippery as hell on the soles, and the tight suit doesn't help much with what little freedom of movement I have. If one day I should fall off and die, at least I would be happy that it was because of my clumsiness and my death did not come at the hands of Nikolai.

I chuckle mentally at the thought because it's kind of ridiculous and funny at the same time, but finally, manage to get both feet on the balcony in one piece. I soften my suit, creases caused by climbing would mess up my look.

The balcony door to her room is open and the sun, which now sets a little earlier each day, is hanging on the horizon. The different colors light up her room, but I can't make out much. When I finally stand at the threshold, my eyes soften as the person I've had in mind all day sits at the vanity getting ready for the evening.

Today is dinner with what is supposed to be the most feared mafia boss from Italy. Arturo Romano. The name has been on my mind for the past few days and I've been wondering what he's like and if he has any similarities to Nikolai. Also, I still don't know if Arturo is coming here just for a friendly dinner or if they will do business together in the future.

I will find out shortly at the dinner table, but right now, at this moment, I don't want to concentrate on anything but the beautiful woman in front of my eyes.

She doesn't seem to have noticed my presence yet, so I take the opportunity to watch her put her hair in the right place. She has curled the naturally straight strands into light beach waves and is spraying them out of her face. The brown strands shine through the orange sunset, turning them into a burnt sienna.

I watch her in awe as her fingers stroke through the soft hair to make it more natural and voluminous. I lean my head against the frame of the balcony door, trying to enjoy the moment where I can just watch her without anyone bothering me.

Next, she applies some color to her high cheeks. Blush or whatever that stuff is called? I wouldn't know any better and if she told me the thing was called cheek paint, I'd believe her. She could tell me the most absurd things and still, I would listen to her until dawn.