•30•

"You know what I want."

I almost shake my head at his stubbornness. I thought he would have gotten smarter from the last few minutes, seeing how dangerous my father can be, but he still insists on working for him.

I get a glimpse of his eyes as he looks around waiting and I'm sure the look in my eyes tells him exactly that I don't agree with his decision.

My father spared his life and even gave him a wish free with which he could have wished for anything, but out of all the things, he chooses a life that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Jungkook deserves a happy life. One he doesn't have to worry about if he can open his eyes to the next morning.

My father adjusts the gun behind his back, once again looking at Jungkook from head to toe. "Hmm. I don't know what it is that makes you want to work for me so stubbornly. But okay."

I wish I had heard wrong, but it's decided now. Once my father approves something, there's no going back and when he takes someone in, only death can free the person from this life. It's like selling your soul to the devil.

Disappointment and sadness run down my spine and I wince as the worries of the future make me shudder. Now I know that I will always wait with fear-filled eyes for Jungkook to return healthy and safe from the business my father will entrust him with.

"Is he trustworthy?" my father asks me after he has completely inspected Jungkook.

He must think that I know him from somewhere and know more about him. I'm thankful he doesn't ask further, because, after all the lies, I don't know what I could tell him.

"He is," I answer quickly, my voice rising an octave, making me clear my throat to appear neutral again. "I take all responsibility for his actions."

I feel my legs still shaking uncontrollably under my dress and the lack of breakfast leaves me dizzy. I don't know if I'll ever be able to come down from all the anxiety I've felt in the last few minutes.

"Well then, Jungkook." My father sneers as if testing him. "Taehyung, gather enough men to turn the whole city upside down to find me that Gabriel son of a bitch."

Taehyung nods and heads straight out of the office. One thing my father likes about Tae is that he never has to tell him twice what to do. I can see Jungkook's tense muscles relax with every man who leaves the room.

He was trying not to look really affected by his nervousness the whole time, but I know exactly how he must have felt. I could see every muscle flexing under the thin material of his shirt, and his jaw must hurt from clenching.

"You stay here." My father orders and Jungkook nods in understanding. "Irina, show him around a bit, explain the essentials or I don't know what."

He waves his hand dismissively before continuing towards the door. I avoid eye contact with Jungkook meanwhile, who stares at me continuously with waiting eyes. After the door slams behind my father, I choke on a much-needed deep breath.

My limbs slacken their strength and I have to grab the back of the chair again to keep from falling to my knees, which feel like jello right now. I feel tears gathering in my eyes, a feeling I probably haven't had in ages. I don't think I've ever had to cry as much in my life as I have in the last few weeks.

All the fear and sadness of the past weeks suddenly burst out of me and I let a salty drop or two flow down my cheeks. I hate to cry, but at this moment I can't help but let my true feelings run wild. I take deep shaky breaths that bring my deflated lungs back to life.