Chapter 34: Kein Hills.

Start from the beginning

"Yes, father." I replied to him looking at his dignified back.

I noticed something peculiar while we walked through the halls. His smiles seem to have become wider whenever we pass every painting we walk through. "You remind me so much of my wife. She painted all of the paintings you see here." he points his cane through the long hall. "I treasured them all, because these are the only memories I have left of her."

I stopped to look into a portrait that had a beautiful woman. Baron Hills stands beside me and he laughs softly while looking ever so smitten at the same time... he was... sad. I wanted to lighten up the mood, my mind was also curious.

Who was the woman Baron Hills loved?

"Your wife... What was she like?" I asked. Hoping it wasn't much of a rude thing to do. I wasn't sure if he was still mourning.

"She was like a cold breeze. Pulling everyone into one direction to where she wanted to. She even pulled my heart into her way, embarrassing to say." He scratches his cheek like he was flustered being nostalgic. "She was my first love. You know, we planned to have a child together all those years ago. However, we couldn't have kids together. Her body was too weak for it."

I heard him sniff for a bit before composing himself wiping the lone tear on his face. "It's been twenty years."

At that point, he never remarried... in twenty years?! It seems like Baron Hills was really in love with this woman.

"I want her to someday meet you, Kein. I could tell her we finally have a daughter now. She would've loved you too and perhaps even painted together." (Baron Hills)

I felt the pain in his voice, holding out his hands into the painting perhaps fondly remembering the memories they shared together.

"Was the reason you bought my paintings that day. I never noticed but now that I look at her past works more closely." my eyes scan the different portraits in the halls.

"I had a similar style to her past works... My work reminded you of your late wife..."

Baron Hills nods, eyes turning uncertain when it turns to me, "Yes. However this was not the mere reason I adopted you. Truly, I wanted you to be my daughter and to help you with your troubles, Kein."

I smile reassuring him. "I know or else you never would've helped me when I was in trouble. Even if I didn't have any magic at all I know you would still help me. You know, if you didn't buy my painting back then I would've died out of starvation. I have to be thankful to your wife, she's the reason why I'm alive today." I told him.

He smiled happily and continued to walk with me into these halls full of well conditioned paintings. These were really well taken care of in these twenty years, I would be fooled thinking it's new.

Baron Hills must've loved his wife so much. It's... painful to know about this just now.

"From henceforth, Kein Hills. Many of our family have been the many generations of Knights." (Baron Hills)