Chapter 48 - Zemo

After Bucky visited Zemo, he brought us to some random building and starts rambling about Breaking Zemo out of Jail. "What are you talking about? You wanna break Zemo outta jail? Where are we, Buck? Have you lost your mind?" I ask.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing."

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam says.

"We also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose."

"Zemo's gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours. No offense." I nod.

"Offense. Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code."

"Y/N and I have been on the wrong side of that code and so have you. He blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget that? You think the Wakandans forgot about it? It's a rhetorical question. They didn't. I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end." Sam says.

"We don't know how they're gettin' the serum. We don't even know how many of them there are. Let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I?"

I frown and cross my arms, "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything." He smiles. "The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware. The human element. Now, in this lockup, it's nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, then the protocol says four guards have to respond. So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment? Who knows? There could be many reasons...But the point is, these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated, and with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallway or two. And if the fire alarm got tripped while the prisoners were being separated... someone could use the chaos to their advantage."

"I don't like how casual you're bein' about this. This is unnatural. Are you... And where are we, man?" Sam asks. We turn as a door opens. Sam and I gasp as we see Zemo and start rushing towards him. "Whoa. Whoa, whoa."

Bucky steps in front of us. "No, listen."

"What are you doin' here?" Sam asks angrily.

"I didn't tell 'cause I knew you wouldn't let this happen."

"What did you do?" Sam asks.

"We need him."

"You're going back to prison!" I yell to Zemo.

"If I may..."

"No!" The three of us scream.

"Apologies."

"When Steve refused to sign the Sokovia Accords, you both backed him. You broke the law, and you stuck your neck out for me. I'm asking you to do it again." Bucky sighs.

"I really think I'm invaluable..."

"Shut up. Okay. If we do this, you don't make a move without our permission." Sam nods.

"Fair."

"Okay, Zemo, where do we start?" I ask.

Zemo walks over to me and grabs my hand, pulling it up and kissing the top of it. "I believe we haven't met, Miss Stark."

"Just walk." I roll my eyes.

He takes us to a larger room with a bunch of cars. "So our first move is grand theft auto?" Sam asks.

"These are mine. Collected by family over the generations. I spent years hunting people Hydra recruited to recreate the serum. Because once it's out there, someone can create an army of people... like the Avengers. I ended the Winter Soldier program once before. I have no intention to leave my work unfinished. To do this, we'll have to scale a ladder of lowlifes."