Chapter 37 - Fading

After finally getting a plan together, Strange wanted me to stay with him as we waited.

Soon a big purple dude appears. "Oh, yeah...you're much more of a Thanos." Strange nods.

"I take it, the Maw is dead. This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission."

"You may regret that. He brought you face-to-face with the Master of the Mystic Arts and a psycho assassin." Strange says.

"And where do you think he brought you?"

"Let me guess. Your home?" I ask.

Thanos smiles, "It was. And it was beautiful." Thanos curls his gauntleted fist and activates the Reality Stone to show us The planet before it was destroyed. We see green lawns, intact buildings, water-filled ponds, strolling citizens, the jack-like structures hovering and connected to the ground-based buildings with beams of energy. "Titan was like most planets. Too many mouths, and not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution."

"Genocide."

"But at random, dispassionate, fair to rich and poor alike. They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass." Thanos relaxes his fist; the Stone stops glowing and the illusion fades back into the true state of Titan.

"Congratulations. You're a prophet." Strange says sarcastically.

"I'm a survivor."

"Who wants to murder trillions." I nod.

"With all six stones, I could simply snap my fingers, and they would all cease to exist; I call that... mercy."

Strange and I stand, "And then what?"

"I finally rest...and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe.
The hardest choices require the strongest wills."

I take out my sword as Strange and I get into our fighting stances, "I think you'll find our will...equal...to yours." Strange says, looking up.

"Ours?" Thanos looks up to a see a chunk of wreckage descending rapidly on him, too rapidly to react and powered by dad. He is subsequently crushed by it.

"Piece of cake, Quill!" Dad yells.

"Yeah, if your goal was to piss him off!"

The wreckage on top of Thanos erupts in purple, as he bellows in rage. He turns the hovering fragments into a flock of bats with the Reality Stone and swarms dad with them, driving him back through the ruins.

Peter webs his eyes, and swings in to kick him in the face at the same time that Drax leaps up from cover, blades in both hands, to knee-slide behind Thanos and try for a tendon slide across the back of the his knee.

I teleport over behind Thanos and slice his back, ducking his punch as Strange uses a portal to come over and help. Thanos punches Drax through a ruined wall, then shatters Strange's orange blade with one hand and tears the web from his eyes. He advances on Strange and kicks at him, but Strange's shield absorbs the damage, the Cloak lifts him free of the ground.

Quill makes his way back on the ground, and shoots Thanos from behind. Thanos uses the Power Stone to shoot balls of energy at Quill while Quill leaps towards Thanos using magical platforms thrown in his path by Strange, the last one placed above Thanos' head so Star-Lord can flip over him and slap a bomb on Thanos' back. Star-Lord sticks his landing, he disengages his helmet, flips Thanos off and falls backward into a portal. "Boom!"

The explosion knocks Thanos to his knees and dazes him briefly. I run over and punch him, slicing my sword up his arm as the Cloak swoops off Strange's shoulders and wraps itself tightly around Thanos' armored hand, who starts tugging at this unexpected wrapping.