Chapter 43 - Time

We all sit outside in silence, I was sitting between dads legs as I cry. He holds onto me and rubs my head, trying to comfort me.

"Do we know if she had family?" Dad breaks the silence.

"Yeah. Us."

"What?" Thor turns.

"I just asked him a question..."

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together." Thor growls.

"We can't get her back." Clint mutters.

Thor turns again, "What?"

"It can't be undone. It can't."

Thor laughs dryly, "I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

Thor looks at Clint confused, "No, that's my point-"

"It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM!" Clint's anger is quickly replaced with grief. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

In a burst of anger, I stand and grab a bench and hurl it clear across the lake. I turn to the others and wipe my tears. "She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it....We have to."

"We will." Steve nods.

I stop Clint as the others walk inside, pulling him in and holding him in my arms. "I'm sorry...I tried to stop her...I-" He cries into my shoulder.

"Don't you dare apologize. It wasn't your fault." I hold the back of his head. "Come on...let's go inside." He smiles as I wipe his tears, clasping his hand around mine as we walk inside.

Once the gauntlet was ready, we all stand and stare at it. "All right. The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket asks.

"I'll do it." Thor steps up.

"Excuse me?"

"It's okay." He smiles.

Everyone stops up to stop him, "Whoa. Stop. Stop. Wait a sec. Hey, hey."

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet." Steve says.

"I'm sorry. What, we're just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

"We should at least discuss it." Scott nods.

"No, no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."

"It's not about that." Dad sighs.

"It's not that. Stop it! Just let me!" He starts to tear up as he grabs dad's shoulder, "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you, you're in no condition."

"What do you...What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asks.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey asks, I turn and glare at him.

"Lightning."

"Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me." Bruce suddenly says. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."