Chapter 30 - Bucky

I sit beside Steve, Sam was on the other side as we attend Peggy's funeral. I hold my hand in Steve's and swipe my thumb back and forth to comfort him. I then look up as a woman steps up to the podium.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of Shield....but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." The woman looks at Steve. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move...it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say No, you move."

After the funeral Steve walked the woman who's name is Sharon to her hotel. Sam and I stand aside in the lobby and watch the TV. "I don't like her." I mutter.

"Sharon? Why?"

"Somethings off about her....I don't know. Just the way she looks at Steve....her aunt loved Steve. It's weird." I shrug.

"Someone's definitely jealous." Sam chuckles.

"Of course I'm not. Steve is my best friend. I just have a bad feeling about her, that's all." I pause for a moment. "You really don't find this weird? Steve and Peggy loved each other....Sharon knows this. Your aunt just died and now your going for her one true love. It's weird."

"Okay it's a little weird." He nods.

"Thank you."

We look up as the news turns on....there was a bombing in Vienna and they are saying Bucky did it. I teleport across the room beside Steve.

"Steve...you really need to check the news." I grab his shoulder.

"Follow me."

She takes us to her room and instantly gets a call as we watch the news. "A bomb hidden in a news van and it ripped through the UN building in Vienna."

"Who's coordinating? Good. They're solid. Forensics?" Sharon paces back and forth.

"More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous Hydra agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

Sharon hangs up and steps over to us. "I have to go to work."

Sharon had gotten us a location on Bucky, we had to hurry because the authorities weren't planning on taking him alive.

Sam was outside keeping watch while I went into Bucky's apartment with Steve. I walk to the kitchen and pick up a small journal, Steve steps over next to me as I open it. There was some pages about Steve, then there was a lot about me. There was newspaper photos of me and drawings.

He wrote it to remember us.

"Heads up, guys, German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam says in our earpieces.

"Understood." Steve says. We both look up and turn to see Bucky staring at us. "Do you know me?"

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum." He nods.

"They've set the perimeter." Sam says.

"I know you're nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore." Bucky says.

"They're entering the building."

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive." I say sadly.

"That's smart. Good strategy." I slowly walk over to him, he stares down at me, "I've missed you."

"You still remember me?"

"I always do." He whispers.

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam says.

I slowly slide my hands up his arms, "This doesn't have end in a fight, Buck."

He stares down at me and shakes his head, "It always ends in a fight....you know that."

I look up at him and try to read his mind, "I wish I could be better for her....good enough."

"5 seconds."

"You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve asks.

"I don't know."

"3 seconds!" Sam yells.

"Yes, you do." I nod.

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"

A grenade suddenly crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it to Steve, and he smothers it with his shield.

I turn as a cop slams the battering ram against the door. Bucky grabs my waist and pulls me beside him and away from the window as he picks up the mattress to shield us from the bullets coming from the window.

I pull away from his grasp and kick his table down the hall the block the door as Steve pulls the rug from under a policeman, sending him flying. Bucky slams another policeman into the wall, "Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone." Steve yells.

Bucky slams Steve down and punches a hole in the floor. "I'm not gonna kill anyone." He grabs a backpack from under the floorboards and throws it out of the window.

Bucky and Steve get behind Steve's shield to avoid gunfire, while I teleport around the room and take out cops without seriously hurting them. Bucky shoves Steve and he knocks a cop over. He holds up his metal hand and repells bullets, then slams a cop into shelves. Bucky picks up a large cement brick and slams it into a cop. Steve fights a cop on the balcony as I grab a cop behind Bucky and slam him down, grabbing his handcuffs and cuffing his hands behind his back A cop shoots around the door outside, Bucky punches through the wall beside the door and goes out into the hall.

A cop grabs me from behind as I was distracted, I teleport out of his grasp and yank him back into the wall, throwing his gun off the balcony as I handcuff him to the wall.

I run after Steve and Bucky and jump off the stairwell, catching the railing and pulling myself up. I look outside and teleport onto the roof below as a man in a black suit attacks Bucky.

I teleport down onto the street as they run into an underpass. Bucky grabs a motorcycle and starts speeding away, I teleport behind him and hold onto him. "Shit!" He turns to look at me briefly.

"We are not splitting up again...." I lean forward and kiss his cheek. "Promise me."

"I promise." He smiles.

I look back as the man in the black suit as he approaches us. He leaps up at us, I grab his neck and hold him am away from Bucky as he tries to claw at him.  He manages to claw my arm, I yell out and throw him off as Bucky throws a sticky grenade at the top of the underpass.

The man leaps out and slashes our back tire, Bucky and I go rolling across the ground.

Steve runs over to us as we stand, the police surrounds us, causing us to put our hands up. Rhodey then drops down, "Stand down, now!"  Steve puts his shield in his back. "Congratulations kid...Cap. You're criminals." Police move in and force Bucky to his knees. Cops then move Steve and I's arms behind our backs. I hiss in pain as I continue to bleed out. The man in the black suit takes off his mask to reveal T'Challa. "Your highness." Rhodey nods.

I turn as I am forced into a truck to see Bucky staring at me.