Chapter 39 - Morgan

Start from the beginning

"Guys, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?"' Steve asks.

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?" Dad asks.

"In Layman's terms, it means you're not coming home." I nod.

"I did." Scott smiles.

"No, you accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull off a... What do you call it?" I ask.

Scott tries to hide his pride, "A time heist?"

"Yeah, a time heist. Of course, why didn't we think of this before? Oh, because it's laughable? Because it's a pipedream?" I tilt my head.

"The Stones are in the past. We can go back and get them."

"We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everyone back." Nat nods.

"Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?" Dad asks.

"I don't believe we would." Steve sighs.

Dad stares at him for a moment, "Gotta say, sometimes I miss that giddy optimism. However, high hopes won't help if there's no logical, tangible way for me to safely execute said time heist. I believe the most likely outcome would be our collective demise."

"Not if we strictly follow the rules of time travel. That means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sporting events-"

I sit up and hold my hand out to stop him, "I'm gonna stop you right there, Scott. Are you seriously telling me that your plan to save the universe is based on Back To The Future?"

"No."

"Good. You had me worried there. 'Cause that'd be horse shit. That's not how quantum physics works." I say.

"Guys...We have to take a stand." Nat sighs.

"We did stand. And yet, here we are." Dad says.

"I know you got a lot on the line. You got a wife, two daughters. But I lost someone very important to me. A lot of people did." His voice gets louder as he tries to sell his desperation to us, "And now, now we have a chance to bring her back. To bring everyone back. And you're telling me that won't even..."

"That's right, Scott, I won't even. I got two kids." Dad shakes his head.

Morgan suddenly runs outside and climbs into dad's lap, "Mommy told me to come and save you both."

"Good job. We're saved." Dad smiles and stands up with her in his arms. "I wish you'd come here to ask me something else. Anything else. Honestly, I... I missed you guys, it was... Oh, and table's set for seven."

"Tony, I get it. And I'm happy for you, I really am. But this is a second chance." Steve says quietly.

"I got my second chance right here, Cap. I can't roll the dice again." Dad puts his arm around me. "If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch."

"Y/N...please." Steve whispers.

"No...she can't." Dude pulls me with him. "I'm not losing her again."