57. More the Merrier

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, if you'd actually let us play," he chuckled.

I gave him an apologetic grin, hugging the controller. "I just love it so much!"

"It's fine. We can wait for our turn," Sky said reassuringly, but I gave him the controller.

"I actually have this game at home, so I can continue when I get back," I explained and sat down next to Luke on the couch.

"Thanks," Sky said cheerily, and he and Max sat down on the floor, starting a new game.

I turned my attention to Luke, who seemed a bit sleepy. He tried to hide a yawn, and I felt bad for him. I didn't want to leave yet, but if he was tired...

"What?" he asked when he spotted me staring at him.

"Do you want to go home?" I asked quietly.

"Nah, this is fun," he said, but then he looked away to hide another yawn.

"You're tired," I noted.

"I'm always tired..."

"You say it like it's all right," I said shortly.

"I'll be fine..." he muttered. "I don't want to ruin the evening..." he added even more quietly.

I wanted to start an argument, but that wasn't me. I was more of a problem-solver, or so I wanted to believe. So, I grabbed a blanket Sky had on his couch, folded it, and placed it on my lap. Then I turned to look at him.

"You should rest," I told him, patting the blanket.

"I'm fine," he said nonchalantly, but I kept staring at him without saying a word. I wasn't sure why he was being stubborn, and that made me realize I still didn't know much about him. I knew more than others, yes, but that wasn't much. He sure as hell didn't like people to know anything about him.

I kept tapping the blanket with my fingers, trying to lure him to give up. A thought popped into my head, and I had to fight myself so I wouldn't start laughing. Sky often referred us to a pack of wolves, and at that moment, I pictured myself taming a wild wolf. Or at least trying to get him used to me. For some reason, that didn't seem so far off.

He was glaring at me with squinted eyes, not quite facing me. Eventually he sighed and relaxed, slowly moving to lie on the couch, using my lap as his pillow. He was way too tall for the two-seated couch, so his legs were hanging off the armrest. It took him a moment to find a good position, and when he finally stopped moving, he gave me a slightly annoyed look. He was faking it, I was sure of it.

"You need to rest," I said again, but he didn't close his eyes – they were still fixated on mine. I put my hand over them, and I could feel his brows turning into a deep, deep frown. I was holding my laugh when I removed my hand, and he was still watching me, only this time his expression was clearly asking me what the hell I was doing.

"Come on, close your eyes," I chuckled and planted my hand back over his eyes. His lashes tickled my skin as he continued blinking, so I knew he wasn't going to obey me. "Pretty please?"

He probably did close his eyes, because he stopped blinking, but the frown still remained.

"You, sir, are stubborn," I mumbled, and he accidentally let me see his tiny smile. It vanished as fast as it had emerged, but it was too late for him – I knew he was having fun.

I moved my hand on his cheek and caressed his brow with my thumb. He slowly seemed to forget he was supposed to act stubborn. His frown melted away and his body relaxed while his breathing grew steadier and deeper. Watching him was fascinating, which was weird, actually. Like, he was another human being, a guy I had known for a couple of years now, and was just literally lying there and breathing.