57. More the Merrier

Start from the beginning

"What?" I frowned and looked at him.

"Yeah, he's like a completely different person now, compared to how he was before leaving for Australia."

"I don't see any difference," I muttered.

"Well of course not, because he's always been so nice to you. And I can't believe I didn't see this coming. It was so obvious he had a crush on you."

"I hope it wasn't that obvious..." I murmured. "I feel like a complete jerk for even thinking like this, but no one can know about us. About me and him. I don't want to even think about what my dad will do if he finds out..."

"I know..." he sighed. "I don't think anyone knows about it though, besides me and Sky. We've kept our mouths shut like we promised. And if it makes you feel any better, I don't think anyone would believe Luke is gay, even if he was caught kissing another guy."

I laughed at his last words. "Yeah, you might be right. He's definitely not how I expected gays to be like."

Max chuckled for a moment, but then he fell silent and turned to glance at me. "Wait... What did you expect?"

"Well, you know... Skinny guys in crop tops who talk with a lisp and call everyone girlfriend, or big, buff guys who wear only leather and spike-collars and drive motorcycles..."

He stared at me for a moment. "Troy..." he sighed my name like he always did when I did or said something stupid. "That's not how most gays are..."

"Well, I haven't met a gay guy before," I defended myself, knowing perfectly well I'd been an idiot.

"That you know of," Max said and shook his head. "I hope you know better now."

"I do, yeah. I just never gave any thought to it, that's all," I admitted.

"I get it," he nodded and patted my back.

It was at that exact moment when it suddenly started raining. Max and I retreated deeper under the roof, while Luke and Sky called Bella and came to us. The rain was getting worse by the second, and when we stepped inside the house, it was already pouring hard.

"Where did that rain come from?" Sky laughed, closing the door. "I guess we're forced to stay indoors. I mean, if you guys still want to..."

His voice sounded so small by the time he stopped talking I didn't even consider asking Luke's opinion when I said yes. Sky was the sweetest person I had ever met, and there was no way I could say no to him, and if Luke couldn't live with that, well...

But, since he wasn't an ass, he nodded almost at the same time as me, which made me feel even better about him. I really couldn't shake the feeling I couldn't do much better than him.

*****

"This is so awesome!" I practically squealed, playing an old game Sky had. He had dug up the old Play Station from his closet, the very first one, and a couple of games, and they all were in pristine condition. Even the controllers didn't have a scratch on them! I assumed Sky hadn't played that much, or at all. I knew I was the only video game geek in that room. Only I could get so excited over an old console, but I didn't care because we all were geeks, except for Luke, who was still a wild card in our group.

"I used to play this game when I was little," Sky said. "I didn't get too far because my attention span is this big," he added, holding his index finger close to his thumb. "I did like it though."

"Crash Bandicoot..." Luke muttered the name out loud. "Seems simple..."

"You could play this too," I said without thinking how condescending I sounded.