the consequences of a certain lost item | kenny omega

Beginne am Anfang

"hey man, you okay?" nick was the first one to speak, but he spoke slowly. it was either so he didn't startle the man, he himself is startled, or a mixture of both. it's probably the last option.

kenny's head snapped into their direction so fast they were surprised he didn't get whiplash. "was just worrying about [y/n]'s ring." he rubbed the back of his neck and his pacing has stopped. instead, he was now standing in front of his two best friends who, of course, are well-aware of the presence of this ring.

when you and kenny first started talking about marriage along with the concept of you two getting married in the future and he learned that you would very much want to get married to him someday, they were the person he talked and gushed to. then after a few months, while you guys were cooking together, the thought of marrying you first passed through his head which frightened him a bit. throughout the whole day after that, you noticed that there was something off about him, but you couldn't put your finger on it. like any other good partner, you asked him about it instead of jumping to conclusions. he said that there was nothing wrong, but then started saying that he just didn't want to talk about it, and you didn't push him to do something he didn't want to do. a few hours passed and he was back to being himself. you didn't know it, but it was because he talked to the bucks about it and they gave him calm, reassuring words and advice. and then, when kenny knew that it was time to finally marry you, he called them again. this one was less dramatic than the latter. the call was full of congratulatory messages and i'm happy for you, man. during the first time kenny went ring shopping, they were there too for moral support.

they were there every step of the way.

"don't worry about it. you were the one to design it kenny and i know you know them well. they'll love it."

the shaking of the curly haired man's head is in an instant. "no, it's not that. i know they'll like the ring, it's just that... what if i lose it?"

kenny losing valuable things didn't happen too often though, so matt naturally tried to put his mind at ease. "you've only lost important things a few times, kenny. i'm sure you won't lose the ring."

after all, if kenny was more scared, then that probably means that he'll be more careful which means that the possibility of him losing the ring is much less than before. matt's logic made sense, but it's a well-known fact that anxiety and anxious thoughts such as that didn't really listen to logic. this meant that even though kenny understood his friend's message and also thought it was correct, it still did little to make him feel better.

"yeah well what if this is the one out of ten times i lose something?" he didn't want your ring to be a statistic. he would have much preferred to have the hair products he used to keep his curls looking good and healthy to be the statistic rather than your ring, but sadly, he didn't have a say it. everything in his life would have been much easier if he did.

the words flew out of his mouth before he even realized it. "would you mind if you kept it? just during the flight?" his mouth opened and closed a number of times after that. at first to take back what he said, then he thought that maybe it was a good idea. basically, his mind just had a back and forth between those two and it reached a point where it was too late to say anything.

matt's eyes were widened, clearly not expecting this. no one could blame him, even kenny didn't expect that to come out of his mouth. he almost wanted to apologize for putting his friend on the spot. "a-are you sure?"

kenny nodded at that. "you guys are careful with your things. i'm sure that as long as you keep it in the backpack you're gonna bring with you to the plane, it's gonna be fine."

understandably, the brunette looked unsure, rubbing the back of his neck, just like what kenny was doing earlier.

"look, if something happens, that's on me, not on you. i'm not gonna hold it against you." kenny reassured him.

"you sure?" matt still wasn't one hundred percent about the notion, though he would do it if it settled his friend's nerves. him and nick didn't lose things often either, but this is an engagement ring they're talking about. plus, there was still a small possibility of them losing it.

kenny hesitated when he answered, pausing for a moment and really thinking about it. he looked down while he asked himself if it was really necessary. truly, it wasn't, but it would put him at ease. he already had the actual proposal to worry about, and he trusted the bucks with his life. after all, in a business that thrived on backstabbing and greed, the three of them have formed a strong unbreakable bond.

"yeah, yeah i'm sure."

the older buck looked a bit disappointed with his friend's decision. he didn't mind watching the ring, really, but he was still scared of the small possibility of losing it. though kenny and you probably would, he would never forgive himself if he lost it. nevertheless, he nodded. "alright man," and kenny dug into his backpack and gave it to him.

"thanks, matt. this means a lot to me."

"no problem"

♡•♡•♡

usually, matt wouldn't be the most careful with his bag. he wasn't the type of person who's incredibly disorganized, but whenever him, nick, and brandon are driving to the airport, most of the time, he just throws his bag inside the trunk of the car, today though, there was a big difference. he only put his luggage bag in there. the backpack was safely on his lap throughout the whole drive to keep it safe and in one piece just in case something happened. brandon was always a safe driver though, and thankfully, nothing did.

when they got to the airport, matt wore his backpack differently. now the back, which was the actual bag part was on his front and the wraps were visible from the back. it's the complete opposite from how people usually wear it. it keeps the ring stored in there safe, if someone tries to be sneaky and open the bag and steal something without the three wrestlers knowing.

before entering the car, matt checked if the ring was still there, and it was.

before leaving the car, matt checked if the ring was still there, and it was.

before boarding the airplane, matt checked if the ring was still there, and it was.

before exiting the airplane, matt checked if the ring was still there, and much to his relief, it was.

at this point, brandon and nick thought it was a miracle they were able to stick with the schedule given how much time matt dedicated to the ring. they found it quite admirable though and couldn't think of him as annoying for it.

all three of them were able to breathe a sigh of relief when they got to the arena. matt was finally going to give the ring back to kenny and he didn't have to take care of it anymore. he was very happy about this.

with a spring in his step, he strolled to the elite's locker room with his brother and childhood friend in tow. he threw open the door and caught kenny's attention. once he was sure that the man was aware of his presence, he dug into his pocket and tossed the ring box to him. "think fast, shoot name tyson!"

the thing that most people would have worried about was kenny not being able to catch it, but he knew his friend, and his friend has amazing reflexes. he caught the ring box with no trouble at all. however, something he didn't notice when he got to the room was you leaving the comfort room there.

your eyes widened when you saw what matt threw kenny. "w-what's that?"

matt felt horrible, kenny felt a tiny bit dismayed - he was grateful that his friend kept it safe in the first place, but thought that was just unfortunate - and a locker room isn't exactly the most romantic place to propose in, but kenny, with his plan of proposal spoiled, got down on one knee right then and there and asked you if he could spend an eternity with you.