Chapter 30

.

.

.

The next few days after that incident were weird. I didn't wake up next to Ryan in the mornings as he'd started sleeping in the guest room. The situation between us became very awkward. It was like none of us had anything to talk about. Even Gracie grew suspicious of the silence between us and asked me about it. I couldn't tell her the reality but just said that things between us have been off lately.

Ryan used to leave early in the morning and come back late at night. In shorts, he used to leave before I wake up and come back after I sleep. Sometimes, the situation became so awkward that I didn't even see him at home for days. I wanted to talk to him, to break the silence but couldn't muster up the courage after what happened between us.

 I wanted to talk to him, to break the silence but couldn't muster up the courage after what happened between us

Finally, after 2 weeks of silence, I tried to break the ice. I was up late at night to see when he comes back home so that I could talk to him. I heard a car pull up at the front door. I went to the window and saw Ryan stepping out of the car to make his way inside. On seeing him, I hurried down to open the door. Gracie was about to open it when I gestured her not to. I opened the door just when he was about to knock on it.

"Hi!!", my voice barely came out due to the breathlessness.

He looked up at me with shock written all over his face, "Hey".

"Come in!", I gestured as I stepped aside to let him in.

He gave me a tight lipped smile as he stepped inside. I took the briefcase from him and helped him out of his blazer. I'm sure he was surprised by my actions as he squinted his eyes at me.

"Work's been keeping you busy all the week, eh?", I asked trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Ummm kind of..", he sounded unsure of the answer.

"Hungry? Why don't you freshen up and I'll prepare the table for you?", I tried to strike a conversation.

"Umm.. Actually, I've had dinner. There was a meeting today so had it there", he looked down and tried to walk away.

"But.. But I was waiting for you", I mumbled.

"You shouldn't have", with that said, he left.